I’m not sure if there is a perfect marriage that exists. If there is, then it’s not mine. Yes, you see the smiles and the laughs on social media (or even in person) but we’re like many other couples. We have our own issues.
When you have children, jobs, businesses, and just all the things that life brings – it’s so easy to take your spouse for granted. What do I mean? Thinking that your spouse is going to always “just be there” without any sort of change. Change meaning:
- Change of heart
- Change in mind (towards you)
- Change within themselves (what they used to like, they don’t like anymore.)
We have to continue to nurture our marriage relationship. Period. I wrote this post for couples who at times may be struggling to connect or just need new creative ways to connect. Believe me, I will be doing many of the things on this list.
We attended a marriage event (Art of Marriage) at our church and they handed out a list of 60 things to rock our marriage. I added a few more in hopes that it will help us all.
100 Ways to Reconnect with Your Spouse
- Pray together always
- Read the scriptures together
- Go on regular date nights
- Hide notes in secret places
- Go to bed at the same time
- Listen to music together – share ear-buds
- Buy him gifts he will love
- Revitalize the romance with intimate dates.
- Wear shirts that tell the world you love your spouse
- Praise your spouse to other people
- Read a marriage devotional
- Sleep in his T-shirts
- Renew your vows privately with whispers and memories
- Renew them publicly with cake and bubbly
- Go away together at least once a year
For Women Only
16. Hang pictures of you two around the house
17. Make his favorite dessert
18. Make sex a priority
19. Spend time apart occasionally
20. Learn to enjoy something he loves
21. Surprise each other
22. Meet him at the door.
23. Text each other from across the room
24. Set reminders on your phone to remember him/her throughout the week.
25. Call him right now and tell him you appreciate him
For Men Only
26. Leave work on time and come home early
27. Engage every day in meaningful conversation
28. Complement each other
29. Take one day a month to make your spouse your total focus.
30. Argue fair: avoid these words “you always” and “you never”
31. Kiss every day
32. Find tangible ways to serve your mate without complaining
33. Forgive quickly
34. Be honest
35. Get on the same page: plan your budget together.
36. Look your best as often as you can
37. Guard your marriage
38. Laugh together
39. When you are together, BE TOGETHER (take a break from phones, technology, etc.)
40. Tell her she’s pretty, especially when she’s not feeling it.
41. Make each other breakfast in bed
42. Do her chores for her
43. Get a couple’s massage or host your own privately
44. Dance together – soft music (both of you alone) or other music with the kids
45. Exercise together
46. Choose not to be annoyed by an irritating behavior/disappointment from your spouse
47. Thank your spouse often even for the least reason or gesture.
48. Lay in bed together and stare into each other’s eyes, without talking
49. Learn something new together – take an art class, cooking lesson
50. Leave a sweet comment on their Facebook wall
51. Support each other’s goals
52. Bring her flowers/gifts (even when she says they are too expensive)
53. Wear something your spouse loves
54. Share furniture. Sit in his lap
55. Fight for your marriage
56. Make a point to eat dinner together most days of the week.
57. Never let your spouse feel like they come second place to your career or any other thing.
58. Talk about your dreams and aspirations. Be supportive of each other and dream big together!
59. Maintain a united front as your motto: Meaning “Me and you against the world.
60. Speak well of your spouse.
61. Send him on a scavenger hunt through the house.
62. Write his name with lipstick on the bathroom mirror
63. Be best friends
64. Him: Put down the seat, pick up your socks!
65. Kiss in front of your children
66. Frame your wedding vows
67. Come up with new vows.
68. Be accountability partners
69. Spend time apart sometimes
70. Have pictures of the two of you made.
71. Be affectionate
72. Him: Read For Men Only
73. Him: Wash her car. Fill her tank up
74. Touch each other several times throughout the day
75. Take one day a month to totally focus on your spouse
76. Hold your kisses for at least 6 seconds
77. Quickly forgive
78. Get out of debt together.
79. Create a vision for your marriage and life together
80. Tell each other a secret the other doesn’t know about you.
81. Bring him/her a favorite drink during the middle of the day
82. Attend a paint and sip and create art.
83. Consider counseling (if needed)
84. Keep each other’s secrets
85. Her: Read For Women Only
86. Hide a treat in his glove box
87. Walk around the house naked
88. Tell him you like him
89. Receive his compliments
90. Go on a staycation in your city
91. Go away on a weekend vacation
92. Sleep in together
93. Give each other romantic coupons
94. Don’t nag
95. Create a vision board together
96. Worship God together
97. Create a secret language between only you two
98. Netflix and chill
99. Be spontaneous!
100. Make it a goal to make it each other laugh!
Pick any one of these and do them daily and during the week. I’d love to hear what made a difference in your relationship. I told my husband about this post and he’s going to be doing a few of these himself as well. I’m excited.