I still consider myself “new to Florida” since it’s been under a year that I’ve lived here. Besides the beautiful weather that I get to experience everyday, I love visiting new places.
The best places to visit include things for my children, because when they are happy – it makes me happy. Saturday, I was invited out to Exploration V Children’s Museum Music Festival in Lakeland, Fl.
My children were surprised by a visit from their best friends, so I decided to make it a girls day while my husband took the boys. I brought my daughter and friend out to let them explore . . . and boy did they explore.
Here’s a quick fun video of a their day at Exploration V:
Exploration V is celebrating it’s 25th anniversary. It was founded in July 1991 by parent volunteers, and is located in the heart of historic downtown Lakeland, Florida. It is the only hands-on museum in Polk County dedicated to the education and cultural development of children and families.
Where does the V come from?
Exploration V is a museum with 3 floors of interactive exhibits and programs that promote the five senses. V is the roman numeral for 5. Aaaaahhh creative!! Exhibits & programs are designed with hidden learning concepts complementing Florida Sunshine State Standards for PreK through 5th grade.
Week of the Young Child
The week of the young child promotes enhancing education through playful interactive learning experiences with art, science, wellness and education. In addition to celebration 25 years, Exploration V is also excited to announce the opening of their new Music & Sound Studio.
The Music Studio
The music studio ignites all areas of child development intellectual, social and emotional, motor language and overall literacy. It’s helps body and mind work together. Exposing children to music during early development help them learn the sounds and meaning of words. Dancing to music helps children build motor skills skills while allowing them to practice self expression. Source
The museum has 3 floors that give the children something different to experience:
The Second Floor includes a small children’s art gallery, interactive science components and brain-teasers as well as Temporary Exhibits located in the Dreamer’s Gallery.
The First Floor features “Our Town” including exhibits that offer action-packed opportunities for learning through the basics of music appreciation, art, theatre, math, science and history.
The Lower Floor introduces children to local history and “Our World” through
“O is for Oranges, from seed to Our World”. Pick, pack, sort and slide in this
fanciful Florida orange grove that takes visitors on a journey of discovery to Asia,
Africa, Australia and America.
Explorations V Children’s Museum Awards & Accolades
- 2010 Golden Swan Award! Downtown Lakeland Partnership
- 2010 Blue Star Museum, National Endowment for the Arts
- 2009 Disney Shine On Award; “Helping Kids Shine” & “Ears to You” Awards in previous years
- 2009 “Mega Mike” featured “green” exhibit in Exhibitionist Journal published by National Assn for Museum Exhibition
- 2008-2010 Nickelodeon’s Parent’s Picks Award Nominee
- 2008 “Wacky Wednesday”, weekly cup cooking programs featured in Association of Children’s Museum’s (ACM) Good to Grow “Healthy Museums, Healthy Kids” book
- 2006 Lakeland “Year of the Museum” Proclamation
- 2003 Association of Children’s Museums (ACM) Met Life Promising Practice Award Honorable Mention
- 2002 United Arts of Central Florida Arts+ Award for Children’s Programs
- 2000 Library of Congress Local Legacy, Rep. Charles T. Canady (12th District)
Our girls day out turned out to be great. The girls had a blast and couldn’t wait to share with their brothers all the fun things they experienced. If you are in Hillsboro Country, definitely bring your children to visit.
One tip: Set aside half of your day because your children will not want to leave.
Georgann CarltonApril 13, 2017 at 12:25 pm
Thanks for joining us at Explorations V Children’s Museum!