Faith

7 Scriptures About Speaking Things into Existence

“You don’t get in life what you want, you get what you believe.” Oprah Winfrey

I am not sure if she was the first person to say it, but I’ve heard her say it a few times. It’s like a whisper in my spirit.

I’ve been in church all of my life and sometimes I believe we go to church so much, it has become routine. Meaning, I wonder do people really listen to the Word of God and apply it to their life on a daily bases versus as needed.

Based on the conversations with many churchgoers, it doesn’t seem like it. They praise God in church with raised hands & a worship on their lips but during the week they are not speaking LIFE. Period.

I Choose to Believe

There are hundreds if not thousands of books out there on how to get the life you want if you do XYZ & 123. One thing that my husband said is true, 9 times out of 10, those secrets, steps & tips are already in the bible! They just say it differently.

True! God is the original motivational speaker!

Saturday, I told myself, “BUMP IT! I am going to BELIEVE from this day forward that everything I want to happen in my life IS GOING TO HAPPEN. I will believe it for me and my family.

I will make it a habit to consciously speak LIFE, watch my words at all times and believe in God & what He has for me shall come to pass. I will be intentional in every area of my life.

7 Scriptures about Speaking Things into Existence

1. Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.  Proverbs 18:21
  2. Whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.. Phil 4:8
  3. And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith. Matt 21:22
  4. So shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it. Isaiah 55:11
  5. Truly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says will come to pass, it will be done for him. Mark 11:23
  6. But he answered, “It is written, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’” Matt 4:4

BONUS:

• For “Whoever desires to love life and see good days, let him keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit; 1 Peter 3:10

The thing is, God gives us rules to live by and clear instructions on how to have a fulfilled life. So many times we (I’ve done it too) pick & choose what we want to follow out of the bible. We pick the scripture that benefits us at the time we need it the most.

I believe we all want a good life, whatever good means to you. Unfortunately, our words don’t reflect that. If words have power, that means everything you say is shaping your life. You may not feel it or see it the minute you speak it, but those words are planting seeds.

Just look back on your life or even where you are now. Do you remember speaking certain things about what you want or don’t want to happen and now you are living it?

Because words have power, we clearly have to be intentional with what we speak.

Tip: Only focus on the things you want/desire. Give no energy to the things you do not want.  Watch how things start to shift.

BOOKS:

Here are some books that you might like:

Joel Osten: I Declare, 31 Promises to Speak Over Your Life
Joyce Meyer: Change Your Words, Change Your Life: Understanding the Power of Every Word You SpeaK
Keith Ellis: One Minute with God: Sixty Supernatural Seconds that will Change Your Life
Kenneth Hagin: Words
Joyce Meyer: Power Words: Words You Say Can Change Your Life

Journals: Manifest Journal – Write until your dreams come true

Comments

comments

everydayeyecandy
    November 9, 2015 at 6:43 am

Thanks for posting this. Bookmarking it for later

Tiffani G
    November 10, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Awesome word! So many of us forget that power of life and death is in our tongue. I’m guilty of it myself–but I’ll be more mindful of the words I speak.

Katrina Bell
    June 30, 2017 at 2:53 pm

Reading this has really inspired me. Thank you for posting.

Renita Stepp
    August 28, 2017 at 3:40 am

I agree with Ms.Patricia Duskin Lazenby. That is the word of faith movement which is unbiblical. People when you read the bible, you must read before and after the scripture not just that one particular scripture. We are taught so wrong here in America.

Teresa Oore
      May 14, 2019 at 8:48 am

You r absolutely right. Patricia Dustin Lazendy…Only YAHWEH / GOD has that power. It’s thru obedience to HIS WORD faith in/ HIM,& prayer, that we receive ANYTHING. Stay away from all those false; error making rich t v preachers. They quote Scripture in a twisted way. Study, every Scripture o His Word on every subject HE has in His Words = BIBLE yourself & stop all this SECOND HANDED INTERPERTATIONS . HE didn’t say follow all those “word of faith”, people on t v. HE SAIS STUDY TO SHOW YOURSELF APPROVED BEFOR HIM. 2 Tim.2:15 And He will talk to you the truth of His Word. Ma ca easily lead us wrong especially with the LOVE OF $ in their hearts & minds. They DO NOT FAVOR YESHUA / JESUS AT ALL, He said the fox’s have dens ,but he did NOT HAVE A PILLOW TO LAY HIS HEAD ON. It’s HIM WE R TO FOLLOW, NOT men / women.

Joe
      July 15, 2020 at 8:58 am

There are those that are on the front lines and are doers. There there are the ivory tower “judges” who do nothing for the Gospel but criticize those that are working for the Lord. Which one are you, Renita?

Isaac Nyame
      August 17, 2020 at 8:53 pm

Pls I need your number

Casey Butler
    September 9, 2017 at 9:52 am

Romans 4:17 states that only God speaks things into existence. We do have power in our words ie. bear witness in a court room, encourage others but not the power stated in this post.

Oprah believes in the Law of attraction which is you get what you believe. You have taken that false teaching and wrapped it in Christianese.

Both views when looked at logically end up being morally horrendous because when we see the 4yr old that has been raped and murdered we have to conclude that the child must have thought or spoke that event into existence.

I pray my words are taken as loving correction and not hateful as I use to believe the same things. This particular movement that this belief comes from is the Word-Faith movement, research it against what the Bible teaches don’t take my word for it.

September 14, 2017 at 6:21 pm

Thank you for your comment. I do appreciate your point of view.

Rob
        September 26, 2019 at 4:14 am

Spot on Casey

victor partock
          October 20, 2020 at 4:07 pm

I think these are wise words Casey. The teaching here sounds a lot like the prosperity gospel which tends to extract bible verses to convey what people love to hear rather than teaching a thorough, balanced exegesis. Names like Joyce Meyer, Joel Olsteen and others mentioned fall also into this questionable category. I would not outright condemn these individual leaders as they may be sincere to a degree but caution is advised and, “if prayerfully in doubt, leave it out” is a good maxim.

laura
      December 23, 2017 at 2:24 am

We can speak life into existence .we also can move mountains with as little of faith as a mustard seed. I believe we can heal people or do anything because Jesus lives in us and we can do all things through Jesus Christ who gives us strength..we all have our beliefs this is what I believe in

Polly
        July 7, 2021 at 12:03 pm

Me too!
        Let the record show,

Jimmy W Parks
        August 17, 2021 at 2:01 am

You cannot speak anything into existence unless it is decreed by God. God may have some fire for you to walk through which you would never in a million years ask for. Look at Job. A man of God whom God sent the devil to inflict loss in abundance upon.

Jaqueline Shannon
      January 31, 2018 at 7:25 pm

AMEN! AMEN!! AMEN!!!

Sterl
        December 18, 2019 at 7:15 pm

Can you please tell me which Apostle or Apostles exercised this practice? Paul was beaten and shipwrecked and he did not call into existence a new ship or command those who beat him to stop. Why aren’t you or any of those who comment on your page speaking into existence rain for those lands in need or peace to war torn regions? There are many homeless in this country and others. How about speaking into existence homes, food, jobs, freedom from drugs and alcohol. You and others like you push this nonsense to the gullible. I challenge you and those who comment on this site to to do a thorough contextual Bible study with a KJV bible and a concordance. I hope you are a blood bought Christian who is in error and not someone who thinks they are Christian because you go to or have gone to church, had a holy ghost experience or whatever. I leave you with II Tim 3:16,17- All scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness : That the man of God may be perfect throughly furnished unto all good works.

Damien
          December 31, 2019 at 8:15 pm

In the book of Acts, you will see the Apostles speaking and doing things. What they did, was by faith…and by speaking. This is exactly what Jesus told them and taught them to do. The biggest reason it doesn’t work so well today is bcse people don’t calm themselves, don’t really believe what they say, and don’t bother to ask sometimes. Jesus gave us the power to do this when He sent us the Holy Ghost. Read your bible, starting from acts. You actually receive the Holy Ghost the moment you get saved and born again. The bible makes it seem as if everything that happened was instantly. Sometimes that was the case. But not all the time

When Jesus cursed the fig tree, it wasn’t until later the next day, that they saw the evidence of what He spoke. But the process got started the moment He spoke it. You have to clear your mind, calm yourself inside, meditate on Gods word, stir your faith, and speak what God would speak…IN FAITH. A lot of people aren’t speaking in faith and are trying to speak things with wrong or impure motives in their own hearts as well.(example): if you and your wife are divorced, and you both did wrong and said wrong to each other, both lied, both used each other, both hurt each other, you can ask God to restore and reconcile you back together, and if you believe and have faith, and feed your faith during the process, it will happen. Yes I said it…it will happen,,bcse your asking something that is directly in Gods will for marriages(1 Corinth 7) BUT…God will also fix whats broken inside you, and fix whats broken with your wife on the journey to getting you two back together. HOW He does that part, is up to Him. If you want your former spouse back, and you have the right motive in your heart, ask God to help you. FEED what your asking and believing Him for.

And one last note about Paul: Paul didn’t ask for those things, bcse he was on an actual mission for Jesus. Paul already knew that his journey and his mission would be dangerous when Jesus told him what to do. Paul was delivered in several ways while on his journey. He prayed, and trusted the Lord to help him…..and He did

To be like Jesus, is exactly that. If Jesus spoke things and it happened, then a true Christian has been granted the same power. Also get out your own head, get into the word and see these things for yourself. Then, practice them. Before the disciples got to the place that they did in the New testaments, and in the book of Acts, they had the experience of walking with Jesus…..and practicing. Don’t think they practiced? Read

zeny
          August 22, 2020 at 2:02 pm

People who call on other gods, will be like their gods. Please read about idolatry to get some insights. Please ponder and analyze Deuteronomy 28. It took 40 years for the Jewish people to reach to the promise land. Remember that the word of God will not retrun to Him empty…(Isaiah 55:11). If you sow blessing you reap blessing; if you sow smiles you reap smiles almost instantly. May the Lord bless you and keep you in His holy presence including your family. Amen!!!

Charlie Jones
      June 13, 2019 at 3:33 pm

Hello Casey. The bible teaches us in St. John 14:12-13 that the works that He did, we can do also.

Christina
      July 27, 2019 at 9:37 am

Death and life are in the power of the tongue is Scripture! Speaking to your mountains making them move is again Scripture. Renew your mind and THINK only on good so it comes to you is again SCRIPTURE. Take nothing from it add nothing to it. Most Scripture talking about speaking things into existence is in RED straight from Jesus. Good or bad we absolutely create our reality .

LINDA A BRIDGEFORTH
      April 14, 2020 at 4:37 pm

James 4:2-3 New International Version (NIV)
      2 You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God. 3 When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.

Jess Reynolds
      September 22, 2020 at 9:13 am

Romans 4:17 does NOT in any way say that only god can speak things into existence. That is rediculous! I’ve read the Bible chapters all the way through and you better believe that god tells us over and over WE DO HAVE POWER in our words and thoughts. Not only that but I loath all of those false teachers she listed in this article but I’ve experienced amazing things in my life when I speak and follow these scriptures. It works! You people who ignore scripture and bash it because you Think it’s word of faith, but you clearly don’t know what WOF is.
      It’s people who took real scripture and added things to it with a greedy intent. BUT it was based on real truth. If you have Jesus in your heart then these scriptures are real and true.
      You guys who criticize have watched some phoney YouTube videos about WOF without doing any real study of your own. Talking out of your but, that’s called. I read the ENTIRE CHAPTERS it’s not taken out of context or twisted!
      Ignore the negativity it’s coming from those that are perishing.
      Good article but you listed very false bad “teachers” at the end. Please do your research on this and you’ll see. Oprah Winfrey is a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

victor partock
      October 20, 2020 at 4:01 pm

victor partock
      October 20, 2020 at 4:06 pm

I think these are wise words of Casey Butler. The teaching here sounds a lot like the prosperity gospel which tends to extract bible verses to convey what people love to hear rather than teaching a thorough, balanced exegesis. Names like Joyce Meyer, Joel Olsteen and others mentioned fall also into this questionable category. I would not outright condemn these individual leaders as they may be sincere to a degree but caution is advised and, “if prayerfully in doubt, leave it out” is a good maxim.

TREVI
      January 24, 2021 at 12:49 pm

New age thinking has enterered the church and has created a false teaching. The scripture given for calling things into existence are all taken out of content and the verse “whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith. Matt 21:22” has been taken out of content. if this calling into existance was real, all church members in many of these prosperity Gospel would be rich and financially well off. But the bfact is, pnly the pastors of these great big churches are the rich ones, while the faithful members are still bound to a mortgage.

Bernetta, this is not a point of view, this is Biblical truth. The idea that we each have a different point of view in the church is also a NEW AGE teaching. There is only one Truth not acceptablem different points of view. Would it still be a point of view if i decide that the continuation of sacrificial offerings should continue? or I can attend a Buddhist temple and serve G-d as well, as long as i keep Jesus commandment to love?

There is false teaching and there is heresy. your thoughs on this article is false teaching that cpmes from the new age meovement that believe e are all gods within and hav e his same power. Think about it.

February 17, 2021 at 7:53 pm

I respect your thoughts. I will look at it with a new lens. Thank you.

Gena
          February 27, 2021 at 7:57 am

No, your lens is fine – no need to change it 🙂 God is the same yesterday, today and forever more. We have to remember that the 2 Corinthians 4:3-5
          Amplified Bible
          3 But even if our gospel is [in some sense] hidden [behind a veil], it is hidden [only] to those who are perishing; 4 among them the god of this world [Satan] has blinded the minds of the unbelieving to prevent them from seeing the illuminating light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. 5 For we do not preach ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves [merely] as your bond-servants for Jesus’ sake.

• Sheila Hall
            May 18, 2021 at 2:54 am

Praise God!Lord knows I was one of the blinded,Spiritually blinded,when had temp loss of vision! Didnt know as 25yr old saved Christian, 51 yr old,that Lord had to show me these things,so many things,revealed thru Power of the Holy Spirit. Lord shown,esplly bible knowledge website,after prayer and Fasting Holy spirit baptism, to be Holy Spirit filled and Spiritual warfare. Praise God! Lord worked 20/20 in 2020! 3John2 praise God both physically and spiritually restored

John
          June 25, 2021 at 7:53 pm

My, my, my; what a lot of well meaning comments NOT based on the wisdom.
          Jesus DID tell His apostles to go into all llthe world and teach the gospel, and He told them they would do what He has done, and “greater works than these will you do”.
          Sadly many (not all) of the comments here are based on ignorance. The sad thing is many readers take notice of these things and take them as correct until, as I did, I took notice of them until I did my own study, including asking the Holy Spirit to teach me and then I finally realised what is truth and what is rubbish. Sorry to be so blunt but, for those who are peddling ignorance it is wrong to peddle doctrines which are simply wrong, or at best a mixture of right and wrong.
          Jesus said “I came that you may have life and have it more abundantly”.
          What is “it” “It” is good health, good things in life including prosperity (IN ALL AREAS Of LIFE) Incidentally to word of God doesn’t say “money is the root of all evil”, it says the LOVE of money is the root of all evil. An example is the when somebody is selling their house they will tell lies in order to wring an extra few thousand dollars from the potential buyer, and then they will criticise others who are believing God for wisdom for boosting their income and say the love money is wrong. I don’t love money, I love to be able to do the things God wants me to be able to do, including to help the needy.@
          The final point is this; so many judgemental comments here are not based on love and do not come from forgiveness. Forgiveness comes from love. Jesus told us the greatest commandments are to love God with all of your heart, mind and soul, and the second commandment is to love your neighbour as you love yourself.
          To be judgemental is not about forgiving.
          Finally, I read some wise words recently, they were: “do yourself a great favour, forgive”.
          I love and forgive every person on the earth regardless of what they say to me about me. My love is unconditional, as everybody’s should be.
          John

Kathleen
      June 21, 2021 at 11:43 am

I think some of you are taking with Bernetta is saying a bit too far. She’s not saying that everything she speaks is going to happen, that would be crazy. I think she saying that those things that she’s believing God will accomplish in her life ( like for example that her son would become a man of God ), things that align with God’s will, she will speak in a way where her language reflects her faith. Faith is the substance of things hoped for!

Vivian
    September 20, 2017 at 4:26 am

Thank you for this wonderful and encouraging message. I so need this right now. Jesus said so himself in Mark 11:24. There is nothing demonic about what Jesus said. Keep speaking the truth. God bless.

John
      June 26, 2021 at 6:27 am

It’s hard to believe such a range of opinions exist which are so inaccurate. It’s hardly surprising that Jesus was murdered because the older religious men didn’t like what he was trying to teach. Nothing much has changed.
      It’s important to ask the Holy Spirit to teach you otherwise one day your life may depend on the truth. Remember, know the truth and the truth can set you free.
      With regard to speaking things into existence; it is the truth but it’s important you don’t oversimplify it. It doesn’t work as though God sends one of His angels down with a manic wand to wave around or hit us on the rump and bingo the thing appears.
      Having said that Jesus tells us to speak to the mountain. What is that about and what is the mountain. The mountain can be any problem we may have such as illness we have been diagnosed with such as an incurable cancer. The problem is you can’t leave it until you get the bad news, the deadly diagnosis and then decide to go church and pray a big long prayer and beg God.
      Long before the diagnosis comes you need to know how to meditate on the word so you are ready to fight the good fight. Somebody said we can’t speak to the problem because we aren’t God.
      Two things, that’s what Jesus told us to do and He wasn’t a liar. The other thing is; God isn’t hiding over behind a tree somewhere ready to send an angel to wave a magic wand around or to zap us on the rump to magically make it appear or disappear. Our helper, the Holy Spirit is right where we are, He is in us. Just to conclude, Jesus said in John 15:7 “if you abide in me and my words abide in you you will ask what you will and it will be done for you”.
      I can’t teach you in such a short time how God’s kingdom works but I do know and believe this: “nothing is impossible for God”
      If you don’t believe then there is your first and greatest problem right there.
      John

Jordan
    October 18, 2017 at 5:13 pm

Words have power whether Creflo says it or Jim Beam says it. Believe in what you may, you will see the results.

Arnold
    February 23, 2018 at 5:30 pm

Every scripture referenced with exception Proverbs was written by a martyr. Could they not just practice what they preach and speak not getting murdered into existence?

Lillian Saywala
    February 1, 2019 at 1:02 am

Amen, Lord I believed all things are possible in my life in Jesus name. Help my words to align with your word’s that is life to bring everything to passed. Amen

Kim
    July 8, 2019 at 9:52 am

Thy will not my will be done. Surender yourself to God your heart mind soul spirit will and entire life and you will not be misled. I was most of my life. Now he gives me true understanding and a great peace that is priceless. The worldly gifts and desires go away and you will only crave his truth and gifts.For those who pray for wealth just remember we cant serve two masters and money is one. When we are truly following Jesus we will realize that God sees to it that we have all we need in this world. Might not be your wants but definately our needs.

Valerie Thierry
    January 9, 2020 at 11:23 pm

I have heard so much on the power of what one says some of it is almost spooky. It is my understanding when words spoken in faith is just like God talking. Every time I perform that I keep it in mind. Another point is also watch what you agree with too. My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge the word says. You have to have knowledge of the word then act on what you know for faith without works is dead. Now I understand all the more the saying KNOWLEDGE IS KING!

Mitchell
    February 11, 2020 at 7:38 am

Pray. Say what you mean, mean what you say. Do not allow this world to conform you, but be transformed into the image of Jesus Christ (his nature). Read/meditate/do His Word and ask the Holy Spirit for guidance. Your thoughts will be established. Believe that you are the righteousness of God through the Lord Jesus Christ. into His rest by faith, living your life to glorify God. This works for me. Yes, the enemy comes to steal, kill, and destroy but all he gets is the beat down. It’s that name and that blood that causes him to flee in seven directions. Praise God!

Linda Doss Bridgeforth
    April 14, 2020 at 4:33 pm

I was married 25 years both of us in church. Divorced 2 and a half years. He knows I am standing for restoration. He does not want it………I hear the scripture over and over in so many formats Psalm 46:10 Be still and know that I am God. My heart breaks For my young adult son that is also separated from his dad because his dad refuses ton get help. I am asking for prayer……as I continue to call out the word.

James Frazier
      April 25, 2020 at 1:25 pm

I am sorry to hear your pain. I will pray for you and your family now.

Connie
    May 29, 2020 at 11:34 am

Linda, don’t give up, girl! My sister and her husband were married 20 yrs before he had an affair. He moved out of state, married the woman, they had a child and stayed married 15 yrs. The marriage ultimately failed, and he moved back to Texas. It took a while, but he and my sister got back together. They are now going to a Word church that teaches faith, and are very happy. I remember wishing she’d just move on with her life and find someone, but she had her faith set…and God honored all those years she stood for restoration.

Don’t give up! We serve a God Who is a rewarder of those who seek Him…and He’s pleased when we dare to believe that He’ll keep His Word to us!!

Philip Wittig
    May 29, 2020 at 9:03 pm

People need to mend their ways and return to God now more than ever to avoid suffering from His rightful judgement.
    Read my blog: 5 Ways to Come Back to God
    Hope this help, Thank you!

Victor Aligwo
    June 2, 2020 at 3:33 am

Beny I agree with your words. Your message agrees totally with the Word of God. I am a living testimony to this. 20 yrs ago I heard this message of faith, I used to be very sickly. I went to a hospital for an ailment in the year 2000 and after diagnosis I had no money for the the drugs prescribed and I thank God I didn’t because it opened the door to a great blessing for me. The doctor who is a believer preached to me on how to get healed by faith in God’s Word which agrees totally with what Beny shared here. To cut a long sweet testimony short, that’s the last time I went to hospital with sickness. I have been speaking ever since that I can not be sick believing totally 1Pet 2:24 and that was the end of sickness in my life.
    I have experienced various symptoms some times though but as I take the Word of God on my lips with faith in my heart, they disappear miraculously. Indeed many people want a lot of good things like good health as I am enjoying freely today but you can have what you believe. This is so because faith activates the power of God over your life or situation. If you are a believer you should know the Lord said “all things are possible to him that believes”.
    Thanks sis Benny for sharing, your message is true and inspiring.

Michael Rakotoarivony
      May 31, 2021 at 1:35 pm

So for those who are not healed, do you say that they did not have enough faith. Do we blame them that they do not have faith? Or is it actually that God’s plan is actually something else?

Godwin Ekpo umoh
    June 26, 2020 at 12:42 am

I really believe the power of God

Callee Kelly
    February 18, 2021 at 10:35 am

Thank you for this…. I’ve been debating on whether “manifesting” or speaking things I want for mine and my families life “into life” but always was concered it might be demonic/witch craft-y. This is an awesome article and meant for me to see <3 Thank you!

Kurt van Aertselaer
      May 29, 2021 at 8:53 am

‘Let there be light’
      and there was light.
      ‘Pick up your mat and walk’
      and he did.
      We are created as an image/ reflection of the Creator, though we are not The Creator, I think it wise to be very careful of our words and follow the examples of my friend Jesus of Nazareth and my Father God.

Matthew 12:36 TPT
      ‘You can be sure of this: when the day of judgment comes, everyone will be held accountable for every carelrss (untrue) word he has spoken.’
      Jesus

John 13:17 TPT
      So now put into practice what I have done for you, and you will experience a life of happiness enriched with untold blessings!”
      Jesus

How can you misinterpret that?

May Peace, Love, and Joy be upon you.

Karen
    May 6, 2021 at 2:42 pm

All word of faith only. These are all taken out of context of the way they were written. Only God can speak things into existence. We are not God nor little gods. We will never be. Please people do not be deceived.

Karen
    May 6, 2021 at 2:50 pm

Gods will determines each answer to our prayers.Read Romans 8:2-27. Many have asked for healing for themselves and others. YOU do Not determine that. God does. He alone is sovereign. Why do you all need God if you can just say things and get them. Do you know what kind of world we would have if everyone wanted a mansion, with expensive clothes, boats, jewelry which is exactly what people would ask for. No lie there. We would all be a bunch of ingrates who have no need for a savior!. Any faith that is not built on God is no faith at all. Whoever claims that you dont have enough faith to heal yourself and others is lying. The devil is a liar. That takes all the responsibility off of people like Joel Osteen and what he preaches.
    Pursue God not riches and read 1 Timothy 6:9-11

Michael Rakotoarivony
    May 31, 2021 at 1:34 pm

These verses mean what you want them to mean, ONLY if you take them out of context. If we look at any Bible verses in the context GOD INTENDED THEM to be understood, we will see that God never gave humans the ability to speak anything whatsoever into existance.

And 1John 5:14 adds to all this that, what we ask has to be first of all according to GOD’S WILL and NOT OURS.

So you see, cherry picking verses can be very nice… But no matter what we think these verses mean, only the context can tell us exactly what God wants to say.

Jimmy W Parks
      August 17, 2021 at 2:05 am

Notice all the recommended readings are from the prosperity preacher’s. That tells you something right there. Speaking things into existence is solely within God’s power and exclusively His right. When God created the world, He simply spoke, and light appeared (Genesis 1:3); the sky was formed (verses 7–8); dry land emerged (verse 9); vegetation sprang up (verse 11); the sun, moon, and stars appeared (verses 14–15); fish and birds materialized (verses 20–21); and animal life appeared (verse 24). God’s act of creation shows His unique and mighty power in a way that can never be duplicated.

God is the only one who can speak things into existence. It is not something we, as human beings, have the power to do. When God brought the plagues upon Egypt, the pagan magicians were able to mimic the results of the first two miracles. But when Moses turned the dust of the ground into gnats, the magi of Egypt were stumped. They could not animate inanimate things: “This is the finger of God,” they told Pharaoh (Exodus 8:19).

There are people who believe it is possible for mankind to speak things into existence. Some of them base their claims on a misinterpretation of certain Scripture passages. When we only look at one verse of one short section of Scripture, without considering that passage in its proper context, we can make those kinds of mistakes.

One verse people often cite when trying to prove that man can speak things into existence is Mark 11:24, “I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.” First, these words of Jesus do not in any way communicate the idea of creation—bringing something into existence that did not exist previously. In the previous verse (Mark 11:23), Jesus gives the example of moving a mountain, but He does not mention the idea of speaking a new mountain into existence. These mountains I’m sure is a metaphor for challenges in our lives. Not actual mountains.

Second, Mark 11:24 must be taken in context with the rest of Scripture. First John 5:14 says, “If we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.” We are told to submit to God’s will in our prayers. We are never given the power to speak things into existence. Elsewhere, Jesus taught, “Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness” (Matthew 6:33, ESV). When we seek God first and align our thoughts and desires with His thoughts and desires, then we are showing true faith. That, in turn, leads to us asking for the things that God wants, not the things that we want. Our desires become His desires, and our prayers become requests to fulfill His desires rather than our own. The purpose of prayer is not to speak things into existence but to conform our will to God’s (see Luke 22:42).

Another passage often used as a proof text that we can speak things into existence is Romans 4:17, which speaks of “the God who gives life to the dead and calls into being things that were not.” Many prosperity teachers latch onto the phrase “calls into being things that were not” and try to use it as biblical evidence that we can do the same thing. They misread the passage, however. Paul is clearly talking about God, not man, calling things into existence. Speaking things into existence is God’s domain.

Finally, another passage in Scripture plainly shows mankind’s inability to speak things into existence. Lamentations 3:37 asks the rhetorical question, “Who can speak and have it happen if the Lord has not decreed it?” The answer, of course, is “no one.” None of us has the power to speak and bring things to pass through the sheer force of our word. Only God has that power. His decrees will stand. When He speaks, it’s as good as done.

Gloria
    August 15, 2021 at 4:34 pm

We can’t do it but God the Holy Spirit that dwells within us can.

Peace
    September 3, 2021 at 5:49 am

This is mind blowing! Thanks for this piece.