Summer isn’t the only time of the year you can enjoy family outings and make cool memories. When you live in a city like Atlanta, there is something do year-round & you can enjoy winter family activities just as much as any other time of year.
Here are 3 Great Winter Family Attractions:
Stone Mountain Christmas Nov 20 – Jan 3
Every year Stone Mountain is transformed into a winter wonderland. My family attended a media preview a few weeks back and the children left feeling like Christmas was near.
Best Value Stone Mountain & Christmas Combo Pass $44.95 (includes two-hour tubing session, all day snow play area access, and access to Stone Mountain Christmas attractions and entertainment) During our visit we:
- Enjoyed our visit with Santa Claus — Named by USA Today as one of the ten best places in the country to catch Santa Claus.
- Experienced Ice Age: A Mammoth Christmas 4-D, a hilarious adventure featured in 3-D with added in-theater effects that will transport you back to the Ice Age.
- Bundled up on the Singalong Train to hear our favorite Christmas tunes as well as the heartwarming story of the first Christmas in The Gift.
- We started off the evening with the sights and sounds of the season with a nightly Christmas Parade including whimsical floats and the arrival of Santa Claus. Be sure to stay for the magical Snow Angel® Snowfall and Fireworks Finale to wrap up the evening.
Six Flag Holiday in the Park Nov 21 – Jan 3
Who said roller coasters were just for summer time? Holiday in the Park features more than one million LED lights, 24 world-class rides, spectacular Christmas trees, exclusive holiday shows, artificial snow and 13 dazzling holiday-themed sections of the park.
Free admission to Holiday in the Park when you purchase a 2016 season pass. General Admission to the park is $63.99, Children under 48″ $43.99 (2 & under are free).
- Holiday City, a newly-themed section of the park in GOTHAM City featuring spectacular green and purple lights, a 25 foot Christmas tree with 200 brightly lit Batman candles, a light string Christmas tree standing 40 feet tall, and five of the park’s most popular rides including BATMAN: The Ride;
- Magic of the Season, a state-of-the-art light show through a tunnel of holiday wonder, featuring 7,500 glowing LED lights and the story of holiday magic at Six Flags Over Georgia;
- Mistletoe Mansion, featuring dozens of mistletoes strung across the midway, more than 100,000 lights and chandeliers outside the famous Monster Mansion attraction for the most beautiful outdoor holiday ball of all in Georgia; and
- GloHill, another newly-themed section of the park, featuring a walk-through immersive experience with hundreds of glowing light sticks into Holiday City, where guest-favorite holiday rides await.
Returning in 2015 are 10 guest-popular attractions including A Main Street Christmas with a 100,000 light canopy entrance, Retro Christmas USA, A Georgia Christmas and more.
Festival of the SEAson at Georgia Aquarium Nov 21 – Dec 25
Highlights include Georgia Aquarium’s exclusive SCUBA Claus, the spectacular Holidazzle light show, Symphony of Snow musical performances and the new 3D-mapped, 60-foot-high atrium nature show. Our lineup of seasonal only events offers a unique way to create magical holiday memories with the whole family.
General aquarium admission is required for all Festival of the SEAson activities. Admission tickets are $32.95 for children, $38.95 for adults and $34.95 for seniors.
Additional Festival of the SEAson highlights include:
- SCUBA Claus – For the tenth year in a row, guests can catch sight of SCUBA Claus diving into Ocean Voyager Built by The Home Depotand swimming among the whale sharks, manta rays and thousands of fish.
- Wake Up Santa – On November 21, Santa Claus and his elves will arrive at North America’s favorite aquarium to provide families with a lively, one-of-a-kind photo opportunity.The experience is $5 for members and $8 per person for non-members and includes a souvenir cup and professional photo to take home.
- Holiday Tree Lightings – At 10:30 a.m. daily, Georgia Aquarium will host a festive Tree Lighting in the Atrium, complete with carols sung by the attraction’s own Holiday Singers.
- Holidazzle – The choreographed Holidazzle light and music show shines and sparkles to the rhythms of classic holiday tunes in the Georgia Aquarium’s Atrium at the top of every hour.
- Underwater Menorah – See the amazing underwater menorah in the world’s largest aquatic habitat, Ocean Voyager Built by The Home Depot.
- Symphony of Snow – Back for its second year, Symphony of Snow is Georgia Aquarium’s popular Broadway-style live musical, which includes holiday classics and culminates with the entrance of Santa Claus.
- Breakfast with Santa – Have breakfast with Santa while also taking in majestic aquatic animals. This special A.M. meal will be prepared by Wolfgang Puck Catering. Guests will have quality time with Old Saint Nick and enjoy activities such as letter writing and creating a festive holiday craft.
Remember, memories can be made all year long. Visit these great attractions and your children will always remember the great time you all had.
Joyce Brewer (@MommyTalkShow)November 29, 2015 at 4:31 pm
Love this list and all of these places. Our visit to Stone Mountain Park last winter was our son’s favorite, especially when I was scared to death on the snow-covered hill.