You read the title correctly. I stopped eating Chipotle December 30, 2014. My goal was not to eat there again until March. I wanted to go 60 days or 2 full months without eating at this restaurant!
People who are close to me know that Chipotle was a favorite of mine and I could eat there everyday if the opportunity presented itself. So, these people were also the first to laugh at me when I told them I was giving it up for sixty days. After the laughing stopped, the next response was the same, why?
I Stopped Eating Chipotle for 6 Reasons:
- I was spending too much money there. I could easily eat there 3 days at week, which amounts to $21 a week ($84 a month!)
- I was sneaking around. I would eat there before dinner and then still eat dinner so my husband wouldn’t be suspicious that I just ate CHIPOTLE!
- I was covering up any evidence that I ate there. I would stop by dumpsters on the way home to dump all evidence of Chipotle before I got home! I would even rinse my mouth out!
- I was using different methods of payment. I have a separate account and would gladly use it so my husband wouldn’t know I ate there for lunch!
- I felt that I should have Chipotle stock, if I was going to keep giving them my money. But that came to a halt when I saw one share was over $700!!
- It’s not as “organic” as I thought! My husband told me that Chipotle admitted that although they try to have organic veggies and cage free, grass fed meat – it’s not always possible. WHAT! That broke my heart, but I can totally see their point. With hundreds of stores, how can all their meat and veggies be strictly “pure” unless they have their own cattle and chicken farms. And although my husband information was second hand, I do agree with the statement and my loyalty dimmed.
Did I Really Make It 60 Days?
I did! I really made it 60 days and I almost slipped twice. At the 30 day mark, I thought I did a good thing and maybe I should quit and get me a bowl! I pressed through that emotion and in mid February, I almost slipped again. I said, “I made it 45 days. That’s great! I could really just stop!” I pressed on and made it 60 days.
Emotions After Reuniting With Chipotle
Well, on March 1st – I can’t lie, I tried to go to Chipotle. The line was too long and I wasn’t moved to get out and wait. (1st sign of a shift for me) So, on March 2nd for lunch, I had Chipotle. I knew there was another shift when I didn’t ask for extra anything! I have my special methods of getting extra:
- smile more
- make small talk with the person making your food
- Just ask!
Not this time! I didn’t even attempt. I took what they gave me and paid (2nd sign of a shift for me). When I took that first bite, I made a noise! “Ummmmm, this is so good” as chicken, sour cream and cheese filled my mouth! I still felt this way at bite 3, but quickly thought, “This is a lot of food! Am I going to eat all of this?” (3rd sign of a shift for me). Normally, I could eat my burrito bowl and yours too! But after going 60 days without one, I saw this bowl with clearer eyes and realized just how much food it was.
As I was reaching the end of my bowl, my taste had shifted and it just wasn’t that good anymore. Hpmh! Is the thrill gone? I immediately said out loud, “This is like an ex-boyfriend! When you see him, you realize how much you miss him because he looks good, smells good and could even feel good but not too long into your visit, you realize why he’s an ex.”
Disclaimer: this statement is not about my ex, it’s just an example!
The Future for Chipotle and I
It’s looking slim. 60 days away from this place that had my attention, really did my mind a favor. I’ve eaten there 3 times since March 1st and each time, the same result … the thrill is gone. It taste the same as it did, but something in my mind won’t let myself remember what it was that had my tastebuds going crazy.
I can now see myself easily eating there 1x a month vs. 2-3 times a week.
Now, honestly I need to ask myself what else do I need to walk away from for 60 days? Hmmmmm
Does anything or anyone have your attention so much that you might need to take a 60 day break from it? Could you even do that?