Amazed at How My Part-Time Blogging Got Me a Full Time “Media” Job & You a Free Gift

Have you ever looked back in time at a point in your life and thought, “Wow, it’s funny how it all came together!” Life is funny like that…full of moments that connect, allowing you to sit back and look at the bigger picture.

Keys

Last year on August 29, 2013, I wrote a post called What Are You Doing with the Dash?, which talked about life and are you making the best of it. Who would have thought that exactly one year later on August 29, 2014, it would be my last day at the job that I felt was holding me back.

I posted a status on Facebook a few months ago that I really wanted to work in media. Most people thought I was already in the field because of the work I do on my blog, but they were wrong. My full time job was at college, evaluating transcripts (but I am very grateful for my time there).

Late July, I applied to attend the school I worked at. I wanted to take a writing class in the Television Production department. I needed to take 3 classes to get into the intern class. My supervisor wouldn’t approve it, for her own reasons. After going to Human Resources, and having them tell me it was soley up to her – I asked her again. She said, “No. Not now.”, which was deferring me from my personal goals.

My emotions behind that situation is another blog post, but that day I applied for the position I have now. So, although I was hurt, mad and disappointed at the way it was handled at my old job. I am now very grateful, she denied me. It all worked together for my good.

Last month, I became the Digital Media Coordinator for BlackandMarriedWithKids.com !!

unnamed-1

What is a Digital Media Coordinator? Basically, I am now the editor of the website. BMWK, publishes 5-7 articles a day and manages 30+ freelance writers. It’s my responsibility to make sure these articles are perfect before they are published. I make sure the titles are popping, images are correct, and that each article fits into the morals, vision and values of the BMWK Brand.  It’s so much more to this position and what I am responsible for, but I am giving you the shortened version.

I can proudly say, my work on my blog for 4 years surely prepared me for this position. It was surely a step out on faith to leave my “cushy” job for new unchartered territory, but what should I have done? Stayed “cushy” forever? No. Life is about change and experiences. We make our own path and create our own trail. And it was my time to start something new. It was time to grow.

I also spoke this job into existence. My children thanked God daily for “Mommy’s new job” when I didn’t even have interviews on the calendar. I just kept speaking into the atmosphere what I wanted from my new position. I thanked God for it before it actually manifested on a daily basis. I prayed for what I wanted in a position and in my employers. I forgot to pray about distance, because it’s not close! But I did pray for schedule flexibly, so I know God is going to work that out. My hours are great too!

Since I’ve started, I have also been on 2 video shoots and learned valuable information that has helped me with my own site, in addition to business practices that will stay with me for years.

MY BOSSES ALSO TAKE ME TO LUNCH EVERY TUESDAY!!

Who is BMWK? The creators are Lamar & Ronnie Tyler. They are the top African American Relationship and Parenting Site on the internet. They have over 394,000 Facebook Fans, 22,000 Twitter followers & over 1.5 million page views a month. They have been featured in Essence Magazine, Parenting Magazine, Ebony Magazine, Sirius/XM, TV One, HLN, NPR, Atlanta Journal-Constitution and the Washington Post. They also create books, movies and next week they are launching the brand new Relationship Academy (for couples & singles).

Here’s something FREE for the Married Couples:

Ronnie and Lamar Tyler have created a Relationship Academy which launches on October 14th with separate classes for Married Couples and Singles. Until then, they are giving away three FREE videos for Married Couples on how you can transform your marriage.  The free series will share, how the you can make a transformation from the marriage you have today to the marriage you’ve always wanted.

Comments

comments

Ashleigh Baham
    October 8, 2014 at 8:34 am

Oh, wow Bernetta!

Congratulations on the new position! It really sounds like fun. Love to see people follow through with their dreams and push through adversity. Going out to lunch every week is an awesome perk too! Great career and fine dining are always an awesome combination. Keep going!

October 8, 2014 at 9:01 am

Thanks Ashleigh! I surely appreciate it! Remember, I am here if you have questions about blogging too!

Chelsealya Payne
    October 8, 2014 at 8:59 am

Bernetta, I am SO proud of you!! You are a shining example of putting faith into action, believing in yourself, going after your dreams, and perseverance!!! Congrats to you – may everything you touch be blessed beyond measure!

October 8, 2014 at 9:02 am

Thanks Cookie! You know I look up to you as well! You are surely following your dreams too!

Trina - Baby Shopaholic
    October 8, 2014 at 9:01 am

Congrats! Love BMWK! You are in good hands!

Shannon Lawrence
    October 8, 2014 at 9:29 am

Congrats Bernetta on your new assignment, and congrats to BMWK on your new human capital asset! I have been a fan of this site for quite some time now, so I’m excited to see your contributions to helping shape our culture as it relates to being Black, Married with Kids….and proud of it!!! Congrats again!!!!!

October 8, 2014 at 9:30 am

Thanks so much Shannon! I appreciate it. Yes, I was fan of the site too. Those writers have some really great content!

Bobbie
    October 8, 2014 at 9:30 am

Bernetta, here I am sitting at my “cushy” job overjoyed for you girlie! Congrats, lady! You are most deserving of your new job!!! You did that!!!! You are a woman after my own heart….putting faith into action…and being patient!

Tarsha Tremble
    October 8, 2014 at 9:34 am

Get it Lady, so proud of you. I am definitely down loading the marriage info.

Alisha
    October 8, 2014 at 9:35 am

so happy for you!!! I stepped way out on faith again and hoping to start my own social media mgt biz (I already have one client). Continued success to you and can’t wait to see what the future brings!

MJ
    October 8, 2014 at 9:43 am

Look at God! Bernetta you are blessed. Congratulations 10x over. Well deserved. Just last night I shared my thoughts in a little blurb about leaving the job I loathed and was holding me back. My baby was God’s miracle and his way of telling it was time. Now I’m sitting here reading your story and I can truly say AMEN! Thank you for sharing and reaffirming the power of persistence,strength and faith. Enjoy your new job. BMWK is definitely a beautiful place for you.

Vashti (Veepeejay)
    October 8, 2014 at 10:40 am

Wow! Look at God! Congratulations, this is such a blessing.

Sherelle
    October 8, 2014 at 10:42 am

Girl, I’m teary-eyed from reading this! I’m So. Happy. For. You! Your faith and testimony is inspirational for my work situation. Congrats for your new job opportunity… I know you will be great! No matter how much control they (bosses/people) think they have over our lives, God covers all HIS children. I’m going to keep praying and remaining faithful for his purpose in my life too!- Blessings!

Kim
    October 8, 2014 at 10:46 am

Congratulations! This is so great and the company sounds amazing. The best of luck to you.

Lori Davis
    October 8, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Congratulations!!! So happy for you

Mylah Stanton
    October 8, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Wow girl! I’m so very happy for you! God is good! Congratulations!

Arelis Cintron
    October 8, 2014 at 12:59 pm

God does amazing things when we put our faith in him and trust that he’ll catch us when we take that leap. Good for you for thanking God and manifesting the life you want! I am a HUGE believer in that! Congratulations on your new position! May it take you even farther than where you wanted to go!

XO

Renae
    October 8, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Bernetta, I am so happy for you, I have been following your blog for years and this seems to be right up your alley. I have also been following BMWK for some time now and love the work they put out for families. Congratulations on this new venture!!

October 8, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Thanks so much Renae!! I really appreciate your support!

Christine @MomsNCharge
    October 8, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Soooo excited to be able to work with you Bernetta! CONGRATS and thank you for all you do to help keep us all straight! Won’t HE do it?! 🙂

October 8, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Thanks Christine! And Yes he will! LOL!!

LaToya Gillis
    October 8, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Congratulations Bernetta! What a blessed testimony! I am also a longtime fan of the BMWK. Along with blogger E.Payne, they bring a love, truth, and an admiration of family. Abundant blessings to you in your new position!!

October 8, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Thanks Latoya!! I hope to see you comment on the site from time to time!

Daphne
    October 8, 2014 at 9:53 pm

B! I will say it again, nothing you do Amazes me because you stay dedicated, go after what you want and work to make it happen. You are definitely an inspiration to me, and I am super happy for you. Congrats again!

October 12, 2014 at 8:11 am

Thanks Daphne!! I appreciate you!

K. Elizabeth (YUMMommy)
    October 11, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Congratulations on your new job!

Letitia Davis
    October 12, 2014 at 1:18 am

I honestly don’t know how I ended up on this page. I was on Pinterest one minute then here. One thing for sure the ‘”Most High” makes no mistakes. Reading your testimony made my day. Going through a career change myself, at almost 13 years in the Army a medical condition has forced me to be medically separated. Your story has inspired me and although I’m still afraid, I’m hopefully and know change can be good if you use it as an opportunity for new experiences. Bernetta may you continue to be blessed and an inspiration to others.

October 12, 2014 at 8:10 am

Thank you Letitia! Your comment is the first thing I read this morning and although, I inspired you… your kind words still made my day. It’s no mistake you read the post and I pray the inspiration moves you to do something you really want to do! God Bless!

C.D. Beatrice Clay
    October 12, 2014 at 10:16 am

CONGRATS!!! Your journey is inspiring!

Stacie
    October 14, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Congratulations! I love the BMWK website. From what I see here, I think you’re a perfect fit!

Efie Lynn
    October 15, 2014 at 9:05 pm

You truly deserve it… It’s amazing that I’ve been off social media for 2 months and you crossed my mind so I decided to peep your blog since I’m STILL fasting from IG, FB, and twitter and to come and read this is simply AWESOME!!!! I’m extremely ecstatic for you!!!! I remember just like yesterday when I 1st met you and you poured your heart out about blogging and career goals so to actually see you flourish and blossom right before my eyes is indeed a blessing & the work of The Most High! ~Everything you put out you’ll get back 10-Fold!!!!! Super Congratsssss….

AKia
    October 24, 2014 at 10:41 am

Beautiful story! Congrats to you!