Motherhood Monday : Cows Milk versus Almond Milk

It is almost that time! My baby will be 1 next week. Can you believe it? Well, that means that I am going to have to switch from formula to Cows Milk (Whole Milk). With my other two children, we did the switch with no problem and after they both turned two, we went back to 2%.

Untitled 1

Fast forward 6 years later, we no longer drink cows milk in our house. We don’t drink a lot of milk period, but we do buy Almond Milk for our milk needs. Now we have our baby about to turn 1 and the dilemma is bothering me. Do I feed him cows milk or can he drink Almond milk. I googled it too, but the answers are so conflicting!

Someone even suggested goats milk, because it’s so closely like our breast milk. Oh for real?! In addition to coconut milk, rice milk or soy! What? I just want to know can he drink Almond milk instead of Cows Milk. He will go to his 1 year appointment next week and I will have a good conversation with his pediatrician and let you know the end result.

Benefits of Whole Milk (for a baby)

• Rich source of calcium
  • Builds strong bones and teeth
  • One of the few sources of Vitamin D that helps the body absorb calcium and is crucial for bone growth.
  • It also provides protein and carbs which give energy.

I will say that my two older children were given whole milk for a full year and they are fine so I am not opposed to it if it’s best for the baby. I guess now that I am so into what I eat, the hormones in the milk ( & meat) just make me feel some type of way!

What did you use for your baby? Or what are you currently using for the first year after formula?

Bernetta Style

Comments

comments

Kita
    February 3, 2014 at 8:53 am

My son was lactose intolerant so we used that lactose milk for the baby she drank regular milk from the store. I can’t believe he is about to be 1 the time flew that’s why I can’t have no more they grow to fast I just want them to stay a baby forever.

February 3, 2014 at 10:11 am

Really! I felt I didn’t get lactose intolerant until a few years ago! No milkshakes for me!!!!!!!! I will see when we go to the doctor next week!

Katherine G
    February 3, 2014 at 9:07 am

This question makes me feel so old cause it has been years since I had a little one. Both mine went to cow’s milk. I would say definitely make your best decision after speaking with pediatrician. I read that children shouldn’t get any type of nut for the first 2 years of their life. But then again i have never been a follow the rules person. I did what was best for my babies.

February 3, 2014 at 10:10 am

Yeah, my older children were fine with it… I am just being all brand new! !LOL!

Lashawn
    February 3, 2014 at 9:14 am

We are all lactose intolerant around here and for a short while our allergist wouldn’t let Pookah have almond milk, and the pediatrician said no soy since he was a boy. We have used Lactaid with no problems with him since he was one. But I know plenty of moms who have used Almond milk with no problems!

February 3, 2014 at 10:10 am

We shall see next week when we visit the doctor. I forgot about the whole nut thing!

Angela
    February 3, 2014 at 10:07 am

So I started giving Miles organic cow milk at 10 months. Half milk and half formula. We haven’t had any problems.

February 3, 2014 at 10:09 am

Really!! Half and half! I am glad he’s ok. I will for surely be doing Organic Cows milk if I go that route!

Oli
      November 22, 2014 at 3:18 pm

This is very interesting! My boenyirfd is lactose intolerant and I am usually put off from buying Almond and Soy milk because of how expensive it is! It is almost double the price of regular milk, and is seriously not worth it for me to pay that much. I think I’ll give this one a go, it seems fairly simple, so hopefully I can do it.

Kendra
    February 3, 2014 at 11:20 am

We actually did soy milk with the 5 year old and he transitioned to cow milk at school. Now, the baby has a dairy allergy so I mix milks. Almond, coconut and soy are in our house now. I just pick whatever.

February 6, 2014 at 10:21 am

Thanks Kendra! We shall see what happens!

K. Elizabeth @ YUMMommy
    February 3, 2014 at 1:12 pm

My son doesn’t do milk period. He’s allergic to cow’s milk which different from being lactose intolerant. He’s also allergic to soy and nuts. So, juice and water are his only drink options now that we’re done breastfeeding. My daughter can tolerate soy and that’s what she drinks.

I haven’t had a whole milk in years. There are just so many other places now that you can get the same vitamins and nutrients. And of course, with both of my kids being allergic to cow’s milk, I just don’t want to tempt anybody by having any in the house. I definitely think that your pediatrician will guide you in the right direction.

February 6, 2014 at 10:21 am

Thanks so much for commenting! I will see what the Ped says next week and do an update!

Keeley @ My Life on a Plate
    February 3, 2014 at 8:16 pm

I breastfed my son for 15 months. He transitioned to whole milk without any problems as he weaned off the breast. He does not have any allergies or intolerances to dairy. You can easily find milk from cows who are not given hormones and it doesn’t have to be organic. We purchase whole milk for our son and 1% for the adults. We have not had any health issues related to the consumption of dairy. I respect this discussion, but when I shared it with my husband his response was: “first world problems”.

February 6, 2014 at 10:21 am

Thanks Keeley! What are first world problems? We gave our oldest two cows milk too and they are fine. I am just more health conscious 5 years later so that’s where the question came from.

@VenusHouseMama
    February 6, 2014 at 10:06 am

My daughter is now 3 and, at first, after formula I gave her 2% cow’s milk. Around 2 years old, I started to give her soy and almond milk, also, because I, too, was nervous about the hormones. At her 3-year-old check up, I asked her ped about making the switch from cow’s milk to soy or almond permanent and she said as far as she was concerned my kid never needed to drink cow’s milk again. I switched permanently and that was almost a year ago. Only huge difference of note is the price. Almond, soy, and rice milk are more expensive than cow’s milk.

February 6, 2014 at 10:20 am

Thank you so much! I we go to the doctor next week. I can’t wait to see what he says.

Cam | Bibs and Baubles
    February 11, 2014 at 12:24 am

We’re doing whole milk but we do organic to get around the hormone madness.

I am bothered by milk in general though. I have my own issues with it and I do keep rice milk or almond milk in the house. Still testing it out with the kids. The girl was not a fan… at ALL.