Motherhood Monday: Gestational Diabetes?

I am 24 weeks along and everything is going GREAT! Praise God! Tomorrow I have the appointment that many pregnant women dread. The mighty Gestational Diabetes test. Am I worried, a little. It’s a 50/50 chance. I had it with my first but didn’t have it with my second. With my first, I took a nutrional class then had to monitor my blood and food intake for the remainder of the pregnancy. I have been eating GOOD during this pregnancy but I am also to a point of peace with my weight gain. I can actually still get my size 8’s over my behind, I just can’t close them. So I have been wearing those to work with LONG shirts!

If you know anything about the GD test, you know it’s a LONG ONE! I have to drink this sugary substance and one hour later get tested. If I test positive, I have to test for 3 more hours just to make sure! If I test negative, I can go home!

You know what’s funny? Or rude…depending on how you take it. Someone actually asked me if I had it. I hadn’t seen them in a while and they said, “How are you? Your belly is showing now! Do you have Diabetes this time?” I was caught off guard. I usually get, “How are you feeling?”

What is gestational diabetes?
This is a type of diabetes that some women get during pregnancy. Between 2 and 10 percent of expectant mothers develop this condition, making it one of the most common health problems of pregnancy. Diabetes is complicated, but in a nutshell it means you have abnormally high levels of sugar in your blood. Most women with gestational diabetes don’t remain diabetic after the baby is born. Once you’ve had gestational diabetes, though, you’re at higher risk for getting it again during a future pregnancy and for developing diabetes later in life.

How will I know if I have gestational diabetes?
Gestational diabetes usually has no symptoms. That’s why almost all pregnant women have a glucose-screening test between 24 and 28 weeks.

How can I tell whether I’m at high risk for gestational diabetes?
According to the American Diabetes Association, you’re considered at high risk for this condition (and should be screened early) if:
  • You’re obese (your body mass index is over 30).
  • You’ve had gestational diabetes in a previous pregnancy.
  • You have sugar in your urine.
  • You have a strong family history of diabetes.
Some practitioners will also screen you early if you have other risk factors, such as:
  • You’ve previously given birth to a big baby. Some use 8 pounds, 13 ounces (4,000 grams, or 4 kilos) as the cutoff; others use 9 pounds, 14 ounces (4,500 grams, or 4.5 kilos).
  • You’ve had an unexplained stillbirth.
  • You’ve had a baby with a birth defect.
  • You have high blood pressure.
  • You’re over 35.

Have you ever had gestational diabetes? How did it effect the remainder of you pregnancy?

Comments

comments

Marie Young
    November 5, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I HATE that test with a passion. That drink is two sweet. I did not have it with my first child and I’m awaiting results for my son, with whom I am pregnant with now.

Agwina
    November 5, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Hey Lady,
    I had GD with my 2nd & 3rd baby. I did not have it with my first one, so when they told me I had it I was scared and frantic. But when I educated myself on it I was relieved to know that it could be controlled by your diet (if you are willing to do it)so that’s what I did!! What was a huge contributor to having it the 1st time was I juiced morning,noon and night because I would get sick if I tried to drink or eat anything sweet.. It is a headache but I made myself view it as a way to help me maintain a healthy weight 🙂 Hope you don’t have it!!!

Tiffany
    November 5, 2012 at 8:13 pm

That stuff is GROSS! It always made my stomach hurt, and having to go without eating when pregnant is torture, lol!

A Haute Mommy
    November 5, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I hate this test. I’m dreading it. With my second pregnancy I tested positive and had to go to the hospital to take the 3 hour one which thankfully was negative so I didn’t have it. Unfortunately, I was admitted to the hospital after drinking that horrible mess because of pains. I hope I don’t have to go through that again.

Geechee Girls
    November 5, 2012 at 9:35 pm

I tested positive for mines for the second pregnancy so they sent me to a high risk pregnancy center and put me on a diet but funny thing is I only gained 8lbs with my second pregnancy and that was the baby. I didn’t stress out about it it was fun to see the baby every 2 weeks on the monitor screen

Janelle King
    November 6, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I dreaded this test plus that stuff is beyond nasty. But thankfully I did not test positive.

Katherine Phillips
    November 7, 2012 at 2:37 pm

The two times I had it I tested negative. The drink must have changed over the years or maybe it was me. To me mine tasted like orange soda. Praying that you don’t have it. I thought it was rather rude for that person to ask you if you had diabetes. Just felt they were a little too much in your business.

Dr. Reginia; The Social Mistress
    November 10, 2012 at 9:27 am

I am not a mom but I’ve had this test a few times. The taste of the drink is horrendous. I don’t think candy is that sweet. Unfortunately, it is one of the necessary evils since I have to test regularly because of PCOS.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious?
    November 11, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I hope the test went well…I hate drinking that stuff, too, but I know that it’s necessary!