We are all going to age. It’s life. It’s going to happen.
We can’t control time, but we can control how our skin ages over time.
I started taking care of skin when I was 15 year old. My first beauty product was Noxzema. I eventually stopped using it when I learned that it also bleaches your skin (definitely was not trying to do that). At such a young age, my beauty staple was Dove soap until about 7 years ago – I fell in love with African Black soap.
One of my favorite saying is, “Prevention is better than solution.” This statement is true in so many areas of life. Let’s apply it to skincare today. My goal has always been to age gracefully. I love that people can’t guess my age or guess lower than what I actually am.
I understand that the compliments I get on my skin comes from years of “prevention”. Years of treating my skin with care. Now that I am 40, I am turning it up a notch and sharing with you some of the things I use on my skin.
- FACE: African Black Soap – African soap is traditionally made by harvesting and sun-drying palm leaves, cocoa pods and the bark from shea and plantain trees. This material is then roasted in a kettle at a constant temperature and mixed with oils, such as coconut and palm oil. The soap then cures for two weeks before it’s ready to use.
- Protects Against Aging
- Improves Skin Tone
- Fades Skin Discolorations
- It’s an Effective Exfoliant
- Has Deep Cleansing Action
- FACE: Mask – Freeman® Beauty is proof that beauty can be fun, fresh, frugal and flirty! I like to keep my coins, so this product gives you variety & quality for less. They have over 75 products with sensational facial mask sachets and sophisticated anti-aging formulas. They have you covered!
- FACE: Indian Healing Clay is called the world’s most powerful facial. It’s gives deep cleans your pores, 100%natural calcium bentonite clay and doesn’t contain additives, fragrances, or animal products. Once or twice a week with is product is fine. Bonus: you can it on your hair too!
- FACE: Clarisonic is a powerful facial brush. So powerful 1 – 2 times a week should be fine for facial cleansing. This removes dirt, oil and makeup 6x better than hands alone with this gentle, one or two speed cleansing brush. 96% of women experienced smoother, softer and healthier looking skin. I can say, I see and feel a difference as well.
- EYES: DEJ Eye Cream was introduced to me by an esthetician. I’ve been using it for almost 2 months. I used another eye cream before this that also worked. Revision Skincare D·E·J Eye Cream is a powerful moisturizing treatment that helps to intensely nourish the skin around the eye, minimizing signs of aging.Made with peptides, goji fruit extract and vitamin C, this soothing cream works to improve the appearance of fine lines, repair photo damage and boost collagen and elasticity for a firmer, more energized appearance. Unlike many eye creams, D·E·J Eye Cream may be applied to both the upper and lower lids to address sagging and help you achieve optimal results.
- EYES: Collagen Eye Zone Enriched with Collagen, Vitamin E, Green Tea extract and Tropical Fruits. It provides intensive hydration to your eyes and diminishes the signs of aging. It helps reduce eye puffiness, dark circles, shadows and uneven skin tones under eyes. You can use these all the time. 60 come in a pack.
- SKIN: Retinol & Serum – Last year I started using a facial serum and small dosage of retinol. The both do different things. Skin Medica TNS Essential Serum, This dual-chamber serum features two active formulas that work synergistically to maintain the skin’s youthful look and feel. The first chamber features the TNS recovery complex, a blend of proteins, antioxidants and amino acids that repairs damage, reduces inflammation and improves visible signs of aging. The second chamber features the APS Corrective Complex, a mixture of multiple anti-aging ingredients such as antioxidants, peptides and more.These two formulas regenerate the skin by smoothing fine lines and wrinkles, tightening sagging skin, strengthening the skin’s regenerative abilities, brightening age spots and fighting environmental damage. The complexion becomes youthful in both tone and texture, as well as brilliantly radiant and healthy-looking. Skin Medica Retinol Complex .25 This retinol, peptide, and antioxidant formula works to improve the visible signs of aging including reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles while improving over all tone, texture, and appearance. This formula with 0.25% retinol is designed to minimize irritation or for those who are new to retinol.
- SKIN – Tinted Moisturizer and Concealer. I try my best not to wear foundation unless its a very special occasion. I like to look as natural as possible but with a small enhancement. That is what NARS Tinted Moisturizer gives me. I learned how to actually use this moisturizer & concealer at a Sephora. It’s a bit pricey but a little goes a long way with great coverage.
- FACE/BODY – Bernetta Style Soft Butter – I use my own special formula for my moisturizer. I’ve been making soft butter for almost 8 years. My soft butter makes my skin soft, smell good and because I know all of the ingredients – I know what I am putting on my face.
- BONUS – SOUR CREAM FACE MASK – This remains one of my favorite mask because it’s inexpensive, I usually always have it in my house and it works! Benefits of a Sour Cream Facial:
- Active Ingredient is Lactic Acid – which naturally removes the dead skin to promote new skin cell generation, even out skin tone and reduce the appearance of fine lines.
- Helps skin retain moisture.
- It’s a natural exfoliator and boost the production of collagen (which forms connective tissue that supports the skin.)
You can start great skincare at any age. The trick is consistency. Here’s a picture of me without any make up. A fresh washed face.
Also, do NOT forget about SUNSCREEN! It’s just as important if not more important than anything I mentioned above. What are some of your favorite facial products?
They say 40 is the new 20 or 30…. 40 for me is just 40. I just want to be the best 40 year old I can be. Period.
This post contains affiliate links.