Memorial Day weekend is approaching and it’s time to hit the road. Toyota has teamed up with automotive industry expert Jeff Fortson to help make holiday travel more fuel-efficient.
“Drivers can take simple steps to help them get the most gas mileage on their trips this Memorial Day weekend,” says Fortson, founder and editor of JeffCars.com, a site dedicated to auto education and car-buying clinics. “Taking heed to these tips will not only lead to fuel savings but will help provide a little extra money once you arrive at your destination.”
Toyota and Fortson offer six fuel-efficiency tips designed to help protect your pocket at the pump before you start a memorable road trip with family and friends.
- Use the cruise control (and the optional radar-activated cruise control system) for holiday road trips. Both systems minimize sudden acceleration and de-acceleration. According to fueleconomy.gov, speeding, rapid acceleration and braking can decrease gas mileage by 33 percent.
- Be sure to check and properly inflate each tire, including the spare before you set out on a trip. Gas mileage can be improved if tires have adequate pressure. Some vehicles are equipped with a tire pressure monitor system which alerts you when it detects tire pressure is critically low. If the car isn’t equipped with this system, a tire gauge can be purchased at the local parts store and the service department can check the air pressure.
- Rent a fuel-efficient vehicle. If you are renting a car, you may want to consider a hybrid vehicle, such as Prius or Prius V.
- Use the factory installed navigation system or a favorite app from your smartphone. These navigation systems will alert drivers of traffic congestion and provide you with the shortest route to your destination.
- Always pack smart. Just like flying, you should only take necessary items for a road trip. Avoid using the roof rack, if possible, because it reduces the aerodynamics and decreases fuel efficiency.
- Watch the A/C. It is recommended that you use the air conditioner when driving highway speeds. When driving in stop-and-go traffic, turn the air conditioner off and allow air to circulate through the vehicle.
How Do You Win 1 of 3 $25 Gas Cards?
As you enjoy your holiday weekend, all you have to do is share a picture and @BernettaStyle with the hashtag #ToyotaMemories on Instagram or Twitter. I will select the winners that share the best photo.
The contest starts Friday, May 27th through Tuesday, May 31st. I can’t wait to see your pictures!