Welcome to the 3rd edition of the The Fabulous Five Top 5 Edition! This month we are talking about “All Things Kitchen”. For me personally, I am the least homemaking mama you will meet. Although, I do desire to be better in the kitchen, I am writing about 5 things to do besides cook!
The kitchen is the heart of the home. I think that’s why most people desire a big beautiful kitchen. My dream kitchen is a big beautiful open space, with wide windows that look out into a big front yard. It would have day seating by the windows that make it easy to sit and gaze out. The island would be big enough for my entire family (plus a few more) to sit around to laugh and even help out. The kitchen would be big enough that if we had a mini-party, everyone could fit into the kitchen….where the food is!
Now, although I desire a kitchen from Pinterest, I don’t cook on the same quality or even quantity to match the kitchen I desire. I promise, I want to cook more… well, I want to cook better (when I do cook) but my husband just does such a great job. When I get off of that highway from work, I promise the last thing I want to do is cut on a stove … but I’m a mom, so my children have to eat.
On nights I don’t cook, we still find ourselves all in the kitchen which tells me again – it’s the heart of the home.
Here are 5 things you can do in the kitchen besides cook:
1) Projects: Both of my older children have desk in their room, but they still find themselves at the kitchen table doing their homework. It’s like they feel they are going to miss out on something by being away from the family. When it’s time to work on a school project, the kitchen becomes project central.
2) Talk (Girls Night In): I think the best talks are when your friends come over and you gather around the kitchen table with a glass of wine and snacks. The conversations get deep, secrets are told, the laughs are loud and the atmosphere is full of good energy.
3) Quickie: Ummm, so have you ever did this? Have you ever been cooking, washing dishes or sweeping and your spouse comes up from behind? The kids could be sleep or not at home, so it’s easy for one thing to lead to another right there in the kitchen! Read The 5 Best Times to Have a Quickie!
4) Work/Read: I also have a desk (in the basement) but I find myself at the kitchen table too. I have the perfect view of the living room TV, my kids playing and easy access to snacks. It’s a matter of convenience. When I get my dream kitchen, I see myself sitting on the day couch by the window reading a good book while watching my children enjoy themselves in our yard.
5) Make a Beauty regimen: I am the Beauty Regimen Concoction Queen! I will see something on youtube or online and will try to recreate it. It saves me money and allows me to be my own beauty scientist. The last creation was Green Tea Ice Cubes. They give you a mini facial by tightening your skin, and depositing antioxidants at the same time.
6) Bonus – Clean it! This bonus is more for me because I love a clean kitchen, but I dread washing dishes! I hear so many women say, “I can’t go to bed with a dirty kitchen!” Ummmm, I can! I am a morning person, so I have no problem getting up, pulling up a show online and have a dish washing party. My grandmother stayed with us for about 3 weeks and I didn’t have to cook or clean my kitchen! I was in HEAVEN!!
Once again, I have teamed up with my Fab Five Blogging Crew and we are bringing you all things KITCHEN! Take a look at their post:
Kita Top 5 Kitchen tips and tricks
MJ Top 5 Ideas for Fun & Learning In the Kitchen with Kids
Mimi Top 5 places to shop for affordable and pretty kitchen storage
LaShawn Top 5 tips for food photography
What do you do in the kitchen besides cook?