Product Reviews

6 Reasons Why I Stopped Eating Chipotle for 60 Days

Chipotle

You read the title correctly. I stopped eating Chipotle December 30, 2014. My goal was not to eat there again until March. I wanted to go 60 days or 2 full months without eating at this restaurant!

Chipotle

People who are close to me know that Chipotle was a favorite of mine and I could eat there everyday if the opportunity presented itself. So, these people were also the first to laugh at me when I told them I was giving it up for sixty days. After the laughing stopped, the next response was the same, why?

I Stopped Eating Chipotle for 6 Reasons:

1. I was spending too much money there. I could easily eat there 3 days at week, which amounts to $21 a week ($84 a month!)
  2. I was sneaking around. I would eat there before dinner and then still eat dinner so my husband wouldn’t be suspicious that I just ate CHIPOTLE!
  3. I was covering up any evidence that I ate there. I would stop by dumpsters on the way home to dump all evidence of Chipotle before I got home! I would even rinse my mouth out!
  4. I was using different methods of payment. I have a separate account and would gladly use it so my husband wouldn’t know I ate there for lunch!
  5. I felt that I should have Chipotle stock, if I was going to keep giving them my money. But that came to a halt when I saw one share was over $700!!
  6. It’s not as “organic” as I thought! My husband told me that Chipotle admitted that although they try to have organic veggies and cage free, grass fed meat – it’s not always possible. WHAT! That broke my heart, but I can totally see their point. With hundreds of stores, how can all their meat and veggies be strictly “pure” unless they have their own cattle and chicken farms. And although my husband information was second hand, I do agree with the statement and my loyalty dimmed.

Chipotle

**Read: My Husband Banned Me From Chipotle: 7 Reasons Why I Still Sneak Back.

Did I Really Make It 60 Days?

I did! I really made it 60 days and I almost slipped twice. At the 30 day mark, I thought I did a good thing and maybe I should quit and get me a bowl! I pressed through that emotion and in mid February, I almost slipped again. I said, “I made it 45 days. That’s great! I could really just stop!” I pressed on and made it 60 days.

Emotions After Reuniting With Chipotle

Well, on March 1st – I can’t lie, I tried to go to Chipotle. The line was too long and I wasn’t moved to get out and wait. (1st sign of a shift for me) So, on March 2nd for lunch, I had Chipotle. I knew there was another shift when I didn’t ask for extra anything! I have my special methods of getting extra:

• smile more
  • make small talk with the person making your food
  • Just ask!

Not this time! I didn’t even attempt. I took what they gave me and paid (2nd sign of a shift for me). When I took that first bite, I made a noise! “Ummmmm, this is so good” as chicken, sour cream and cheese filled my mouth! I still felt this way at bite 3, but quickly thought, “This is a lot of food! Am I going to eat all of this?” (3rd sign of a shift for me). Normally, I could eat my burrito bowl and yours too! But after going 60 days without one, I saw this bowl with clearer eyes and realized just how much food it was.

Chipotle

As I was reaching the end of my bowl, my taste had shifted and it just wasn’t that good anymore. Hpmh! Is the thrill gone? I immediately said out loud, “This is like an ex-boyfriend! When you see him, you realize how much you miss him because he looks good, smells good and could even feel good but not too long into your visit, you realize why he’s an ex.”

Disclaimer: this statement is not about my ex, it’s just an example!

The Future for Chipotle and I

It’s looking slim. 60 days away from this place that had my attention, really did my mind a favor. I’ve eaten there 3 times since March 1st and each time, the same result … the thrill is gone. It taste the same as it did, but something in my mind won’t let myself remember what it was that had my tastebuds going crazy.

I can now see myself easily eating there 1x a month vs. 2-3 times a week.

Now, honestly I need to ask myself what else do I need to walk away from for 60 days? Hmmmmm

Does anything or anyone have your attention so much that you might need to take a 60 day break from it? Could you even do that?

Comments

comments

Shawn
    March 8, 2015 at 9:59 am

Really nice article. Yes changing eating habits can be tough, but it is so worth it.

Mimi - MimiCuteLips
    March 8, 2015 at 10:28 am

Your addiction was real. I love Chipotle but not like you. The crazy thing is this makes me feel better about how I viewed myself and Chipotle.

Bobbie
    March 8, 2015 at 10:53 am

I have probably been to Chipotle about twice and both times someone took me there. I just never think about going there on my own. I know a few people who loves it so much. Thanks for your honesty about Chipotle, Bernetta! Another great post!

Tia
    March 8, 2015 at 11:41 am

Nothing has my attention right now that I need to give up. I love Chipotle too but I’m not addicted to it, LOL! I try not to eat out much because it cost so much and it doesn’t really help with my efforts to be fit. Isn’t funny how something that once was so good doesn’t seem so great anymore?!

Kiwi
    March 8, 2015 at 12:20 pm

Oh Bernetta you had it really bad like Usher. You switching up bank accounts and hiding it from hubby…wow! Well anytime you go on a fast it does change you, because you did curb your addiction. I’m glad to hear you will will frequent at least 1x a month. I couldn’t do multiple times a weeks because I am scared I will start to hate it (never)!

You making me think I need Chipotle rehab for real lmao!

Lynn
    March 8, 2015 at 12:52 pm

Wow… Gurrrrl, yeah you had it baddddd…. but this post make me wanna go to Chipotle! I rarely EVER eat there because they are always so crowded but you have definitely reminded me that I may need to walk away from my candle addiction. But not quite yet… LOL

Emerald
    March 9, 2015 at 1:06 pm

I’m glad you took control of your life. When you go to slipping, sliding and hiding what you’re doing, you know that things have gotten out of balance. Cheers to you! I like burritos myself. 🙂

Siobhan (BeFree Project)
    March 9, 2015 at 9:03 pm

Oh wow your addiction was real. I enjoy Chipotle every now and then so giving it up wouldn’t mean much to me. However giving up coffee would be a REAL struggle for me. I really enjoyed reading your post.

MJ
    March 9, 2015 at 10:39 pm

I enjoy Chipotle but I only have it once every 5-6 months. When I lived and worked in NYC, I probably had it once every two weeks or so. I love how you stuck to your guns. And yes I need to think about what I should quit for 60 days!!!

Adanna
    March 9, 2015 at 11:40 pm

im not going to lie, I laughed really hard at all the things you’ll do to hide your chipotle addiction from your husband. Hilarious! I used to eat chipotle pretty regularly before and I still love it but I realize that it’s better when I don’t have it for a while.

Alisha
    March 12, 2015 at 3:43 pm

If my daughter could go daily she would! Luckily the closest one is 20-30 min away so it’s a once or twice a month treat. “I’m in love with Chipotle” (sung to the tune of I”m in love with the coco) LMAO!!! And if she had a car and her own money she’d be like you hahaha

On an related note…I was straight eyeballing the maternity jeans at Target yesterday as I was pulling up my jeans -_- lol

Louida
    March 13, 2015 at 12:59 pm

This sounds like me when I gave up soda. Now I haven’t drank soda in several years. Chipotle is a hard habit to break but I know I can do it but right now girl you got me craving for a chicken bowl.