Product Reviews Reviews/Recaps

When Your Child Wants a Cell Phone & You Can’t Say No Because of the Lowest Priced Unlimited Plans

Cell feature

This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MaxYourTax #CollectiveBias’

walmart family mobile

What is the perfect age for my oldest child to get his first cell phone?

This is what I have been battling with for the last 2 years, mainly because he keeps asking for one. If it were up to me, he wouldn’t get a phone until he was a teenager because:

• I always know where he is.
  • He doesn’t have anyone to call.
  • I want to keep my coins.

I found out I was completely wrong about his social life. I asked him, “DJ Cool (his new nickname), who would you call if you had a phone?” He quickly ran down his list of classmates and church friends who have phones and why he needs one. And for the first time, I really considered it.

Children are maturing faster now, thanks to the internet and social media. They are exposed to things earlier and that sometimes causes them to grow up faster. I think giving my son a cell phone is more about me realizing that my baby is not a baby anymore.

I was wrong about Walmart Family Mobile

Last summer, we turned off our cable and ended up keeping it off because we saw the savings and the same shows online. This has opened me up to other ways to save money and get the same quality of products/services I use everyday. Last month, I started using the ZTE ZMAX phablet for what seems like a GAZILLON dollars less that my “other carrier”.

I am not exaggerating.

walmart family mobile

As you can see in the picture, I am excited! I purchased my new phone at Walmart on Thornton Rd. in Douglasville for $179! Also, for only $29.88 a month, my new phone (or my son’s new phone) comes with an Unlimited Talk, Text & Data service plan that includes up to 500MB of 4G LTE data.

• A Fabulous 5.7” HD screen
  • Snapdragon Quad Core processor
  • 3400mAh battery, 14 hours talk time

I was wrong about the Walmart Family Mobile plan, because who knew they are wallet friendly with a variety of phone selections.

So, who gets the phone?

This is the big question because after using the phone, I like it. It’s unfortunate because my 9 year old son has said something everyday about this ZTE ZMAX:

• Mom, are you going to give me the phone?
  • Mom, please give me the phone.
  • Mom, I promise I will treat the phone good!
  • Mom, when can I carry my new phone?

DSCN2475

I like it, he wants it and I didn’t mention how my husband has been putting his sticky hands on it too! I turn around and my husband is on the internet studying for a test with the phone. So one new phone has basically become a family phone!

Decisions, Decisions!

Family Goals for 2015

One thing that is important to me this year is saving money. I am trying to cut corners everywhere I can because I have a goal amount that I want in my savings by December 2015. I will admit cutting my cable was the catalyst, and now I see that Walmart Family Mobile will contribute to me achieving my goal by saving me money but I won’t slack on quality with my new phone (or my husbands).

DSCN2479

Tax time is right around the corner, and as I sit and watch my husband get all of our paperwork together to file – I can’t help but think about what I am going to do with my tax return! Save it! Most of it. With the ZTE ZMAX now being sold for $179 at Walmart, I could get one for my husband too and still save money monthly.

DSCN2483

He can have a phone!

Well, not today but soon. He is doing good in school and if he keeps it up he might have his hearts desire when he turns 10 in a few months! With unlimited talk and text, I won’t have to worry too much about what he talking about with his friends. But as a mom, I will be checking! 🙂

Earl iv

What do you think? What’s a good age for a child to have a cell phone? Have you tried Walmart Family Mobile Plans?

Comments

comments

Melody
    February 4, 2015 at 9:32 am

Girl I just saw these in Wal-mart and I’m shocked! Unlimited for only $29.99!!! This is a great buy for a teen.

Collie
    February 4, 2015 at 9:39 am

I believe my daughter had a phone by the time she was in 6th grade. Perhaps it could have been 5th grade. Technology is what drives us and our kids are being raised in a technology filled day and age. Even class assignments in school are now involving cell phone use.
    If your child is doing good in school and showing they are responsible, I think that a cell phone would be a nice reward. Just check with the school to be sure they are allowed, first.

melisasource
    February 4, 2015 at 10:22 am

I’ve been hearing nothing but great things about Walmart Family Mobile’s services and phones! With my oldest son about to go off to college in the fall, this just may be exactly what he needs!

Brandi
    February 4, 2015 at 10:26 am

I don’t know! Fortunately we have a few years before we have to think about that, so I’ll be looking at Moms like you for insight. I do think that if he’s a good boy, at least you can let him use it at home for apps, music and games!

MrsTDJ
    February 4, 2015 at 11:56 am

Thank goodness my son is only 6 because I refuse to consider this until at least age 10! LOL! I’ve been thinking more and more about cutting off the cable. Glad that you see the benefits for you and your family! I’ve been hearing tons of good things about the Walmart family mobile plans.

Louida
    February 4, 2015 at 12:33 pm

My daughters has been asking for phones and I’m just not ready yet. I got my first phone in my teens.

Nancy
    February 4, 2015 at 5:47 pm

Me and hubby were discussing this the other day, Girl, I can’t even do it…Only because I think Kids today can be so ridiculous, I dont put it past my own child…

Kimberly
    February 4, 2015 at 10:37 pm

I say give it to him however do so with guidelines and stipulations. If he is responsible, makes good grades and is respectable then he has earned it. Not many kids fall into all three of those categories so reward him yet make it clear of the consequences if he violates the understanding. My son who is 21 now has had a cell phone since age 5. We lived away from family and I wanted to know if he needed me asap. Was that probably too young…yes however it was OUR security blanket. When he became a tween it was our life line when friends were pushing the limits so he could text me and let me know what was going on. I have never has any problems with his phone usage and it has actually allowed me to be privileged to information I may have not otherwise known.

Apryl
    February 5, 2015 at 12:53 am

First, your son is the handsomest! I can totally relate to your situation. My sons are 4 and 2 and I cringe at the thought of giving them cell phones but I know my day is coming….sooner than I would like. Honestly, though, I think it is a good learning tool to allow him the phone and set strong guidelines. I imagine when my sons are old enough to have phones that I will ask them to hand it over during homework hours and also at bedtime. And with all the parental controls you really control everything as the parent. I know that you will be on top of things, hun! xx

Kimberly Bolden
    February 5, 2015 at 6:27 am

Such a balanced view of technology use in your home and financial responsibility. While reading this the words that come to mind are family, moderation, and value.

MJ
    February 6, 2015 at 2:06 pm

I had to laugh at this post. Look at your big baby boy looking all innocent and sweet. I’m not there yet but I would probably let my tween have a cell phone if they have activities that require them to be away from us. I’m seeing kids younger and younger with phones. Not sure little ones who are dropped off or bussed everywhere need them.

Stacie
    February 7, 2015 at 1:21 pm

My son will wait a couple more years for a phone, I think. But, Ive been looking at one of these for myself!

Tatanisha W
    February 8, 2015 at 3:58 pm

The Tween age is a great age for kids to have a phone. However, my 9 year old has my old iPhone 4S. In today’s society, I think it’s best for kids to have phones earlier than ages 12-13. When my 9 year old goes on a playdate, he can easily call me if needed. The twins got their first phone when they were about 11 years old. It was a Walmart mobile phone as well, which is great since they have cheap plans!!

I also think that if your child is doing well in school and keeping up with his responsibilities, then having a phone is okay with me!