My Baby Isn’t Walking At 13 Months : Motherhood Monday

My typical conversation when people see Emory lately …

Them: He’s so cute, is your son walking?

Me: No.

Them: Oh. (Then I get a gentle smile, as they try to comfort me.) It’s ok, he will walk soon.

baby walking_bernettastyle.com

My son is now 13 months and isn’t fully walking yet. I was actually ok with it. My daughter walked at 11 months and my oldest son walked at 13 months, so if Emory did the same I was fine. What is not fine is the disappointing looks people give you when they find out your son is 1 or shall I say 12 months and not walking. My baby isn’t walking.

Emory crawls like a speed racer, pulls up and walks around the couch/table just fine. He will even stand for a few (and I mean a few) seconds. He will even walk with you if you hold his hand, but I think he’s not confident enough to take that first step on his own. He recently started school for a few hours a day and he is the only child in his class not walking [Insert Mommy Guilt Face], but he is also he youngest in the class.

mommy guilt_kim dardashian_bernettastyle.com

So many people love telling me their babies walked at 8,9,and 10 months and I just say, “Cool!” I honestly believe it’s cool that a baby walks so early but I also wasn’t in a rush to have Emory walk that early (8 or 9 months). I know once he starts walking, then here comes the running, then here comes “Stop! No! STOP! COME HERE! WAIT!! OMG!!!!!!!!”

My Research Finds: When Babies Walk

• Most babies take their first steps sometime between 9 and 12 months and are walking well by the time they’re 14 or 15 months old. Don’t worry if your child takes a little longer, though. Some perfectly normal children don’t walk until they’re 16 or 17 months old.
  • At 14 months, your toddler should be able to stand alone. She can probably squat down and then stand back up again, and she might even work on walking backward.

Another article stated

• The normal age range actually varies from as young as 9 months up to 18 months. Within this normal range, a child may be closer to the 18-month end for a couple of reasons—mainly lack of opportunity, genetics, and temperament.
  • The study found that an infant who begins to  walk at the age of nine months is unlikely to be any more advanced later in life  than one who is a late walker.
  • After tracking the intelligence  and  co-ordination of more than 200 babies until they reached 18, Swiss  scientists concluded there is little or no link between such early ‘motor  milestones’ and later development.

baby walking_bernettastyle.com

Once he starts walking, he will be walking forever so as long as my baby is healthy and there are no developmental issues – I am fine. He will walk, when he walks. One thing I need to stop doing is picking him up though! I hate to hear him whine, so I pick him and give him 50 million kisses!! Yup, I might be to blame [Insert More Mommy Guilt]!

When did your baby start walking! I would love to hear!

Comments

comments

Katherine G
    March 17, 2014 at 10:02 am

Nishe’ started walking at about 8 months and Tyler was like your baby about 13 months. I am guilty of wanting him to walk sooner because his sister did but I had to respect that he would do things in his own time and no amount of rushing on my part was going to help. Funny when I stopped forcing him so much he got right on up. I exercised him like I did his sister but I became a little bit of a bully trying to make him walk when he really wasn’t ready.

Emory looks like he is doing great. He has a great mommy who knows that when he is ready he will walk. People should know there is no pity needed for him not walking. I also can’t stand those folks who try to make everything a competition. You are fantastic.

March 17, 2014 at 11:42 am

Thanks Katherine! I feel I do the same thing. I come home and say, ‘Walk!” LOL!!

Daphne
    March 17, 2014 at 10:19 am

My son started walking at 14 months

March 17, 2014 at 11:42 am

Oh really! And he is running now!

Courtney A.
    March 17, 2014 at 10:30 am

Hey Emory! You’re RIGHT, Bernetta! He’ll start walking when it’s HIS time and when HE is ready. As long as he’s happy and healthy, that’s all that matters.

Preshus Me
    March 17, 2014 at 10:31 am

First boy at 10 months, second boy at 14 or 15 months.

March 17, 2014 at 11:41 am

Oh ok, see that’s just fine!

Candice
    March 17, 2014 at 10:35 am

Your son sounds just like mine. He’s 5 now, but It took him a while to walk too (18 months). We got so worried because so many people were doing just as you said, making faces or comments that had us thinking something was wrong. He had his army crawl down to a science and he was fast too! But we took him to a specialist who fitted him for small orthotic braces for both feet. We spent $900 on those things. He wore them for about a good month. One day I went to pick him up at daycare and they said “He’s been running down the hall with his little wagon”, I was shocked! He was running with this walker before he even walked. lol. Little stinker! After that, it just took him a little while to feel comfortable walking without something to hold on to, but They walk when they’re good and ready to. There really was nothing wrong with his feet, he just wasn’t confident enough yet and that’s not something you want to rush. Now I wish I had that 900 bucks…a sister could be paying some bills right about now. 😀

March 17, 2014 at 11:41 am

Thanks Candice!! I know you do, $900 is a lot of mulah!! But you were doing what was best at the time for your baby. It’s understandable.

Nadeen
    March 17, 2014 at 11:23 am

Great Advice! And hopefully your pediatrician has been reassuring as I am with my patients. Peer pressure can be so awful even as adults!

March 17, 2014 at 11:40 am

Patients? What do you do for a living? And yes Peer pressure is a beast, but I rise above it! !LOL

Tosha
    March 17, 2014 at 11:30 am

I think Emory is just FINE…Taylin walked around 12/13 months…and barely got teeth before her first birthday. It’s probably because he’s got 2 older silbings HOLDING HIM LOL!!! He’ll walk when he gets ready. He’s standing up so that’s the first step. He’ll walk in no time!! He’s got this!!!

March 17, 2014 at 11:40 am

Thanks Tosha!! I appreciate it. I believe he will be good too!

Nickida
    March 17, 2014 at 11:43 am

My first three all walked at about 10 to 11 months. They had older cousins and I think they were in a hurry to catch up to them.

Joscelyn
    March 17, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Both of my girls walked at 11 months. I felt a lot of pressure, too. It was like people would automatically assume something was wrong with them if they weren’t walking by their first birthdays. Every child is different, though. I’m surprised he isn’t walking, trying to keep up with his older siblings, but he’ll do it when he wants!

Tia
    March 17, 2014 at 3:30 pm

My daughter didn’t walk until she was 14 months and people would say the same thing to me. Since she was my first child I didn’t have a reference for how fast children walk after crawling. My son is 9 months and he’s been crawling for a little over a month. He now pulls himself to stand and I am praying he holds off on walking. Once they start walking it’s on for real, LOL!

Kita
    March 17, 2014 at 4:31 pm

I don’t even remember when mines started walking I think they both were walking by 1 but I didn’t care about walking because when they start to walk it’s harder to keep up with them because they will be all over the place. He will walk when he is ready let that baby be a baby.

Samantha
    March 17, 2014 at 7:59 pm

My daughter is 16 months old and just took her first steps a couple weeks ago. I was so stressed and so hurt about other people’s opinions. She’s very proud of herself for walking now, but she’s still pretty unsure. I am glad I am not the only one freaking out, and thanks for the kind words!

Joyce@MommyTalkShow
    March 17, 2014 at 10:47 pm

A.J. was walking by 10 months and I was all for it. I had him chase my around the house and would only pick him up if I absolutely had to.
    You’re his mom and you know what’s best.
    He’ll walk when he’s ready.
    Based on what you’ve said having older siblings and parents who pick him up a lot may keep him from walking…(no guilt)

Sara H.
    March 18, 2014 at 7:56 am

I think parents (mostly women) are always comparing and belittling other parents and moms (sometime not meaning to). I don’t understand this. Every child is different. Why can’t we embrace it?

I have four kids who all walked around 12 months, except for the youngest. 12 months came and went and he was just as content to crawl on his hands and knees! I had moms tell me that he doesn’t walk because I carry him too much. I carried him just as much as my older three. In fact at home he was very independent from me and would only ask to be picked up when tired, hungry or thirsty. So I knew that wasn’t the answer. At his 15 month appointments doctor said that she would have him evaluated at his 18 month appointment if he still wasn’t walking. But guess what, a week before his appointment my little guy started walking. I just wish we weren’t always in a rush for our kids to make milestones or be the best in their class. It is too much pressure for a child and an added stress on a parent that isn’t really necessary.

I had a lot of people tell me my first born son was probably going to be slow and don’t expect him to the smartest in his class. What, who gives you the right to tell me what he will or will not be or can do? Well I am happy to say he is in kindergarten and has one trimester left and he is reading at a beginning 1st grade level! So I feel wee need to keep our comments to ourselves and instead of making other moms (parents) feel bad about what their child is or is not doing, let’s just be friendly and encouraging, but only if it is genuine! 🙂

March 25, 2014 at 9:09 am

Sara!! I really appreciated your comment!! Loved it! I am no worried anymore. The support with this post has been amazing!

Candace
    March 22, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Chunks started walking around 10 months but it’s been No. Stop. WAIT. STOP. GET DOWN! ever since! I’ve heard they either start walking or talking first neither at the same time but each child will do his/her own thing at THEIR speed. Ignore those looks.

March 25, 2014 at 9:08 am

Thanks Candace for your comment!!

Tiffany @ Real Mom Talk
    March 24, 2014 at 10:56 am

I can’t believe he is so big already! He’ll be just fine, I hate how so many people think it’s a competition and if your baby isn’t walking by such-and-such age that it’s an issue and you should be disappointed. He’ll walk when he’s ready!

March 25, 2014 at 9:09 am

You are right!! He will walk when he is ready!

BalancingMama (Julie)
    March 25, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Oh, tell those people to shut it. Your info is right – he has plenty of time! He’s happy (and adorable), no worries!

First HairCut & First Steps in the Same Day #MotherhoodMonday
    May 12, 2014 at 9:46 am

[…] haircut. I got a 2 for 1 Friday! If you remember my post a couple of months back, I wrote about Emory being 13 months and still not walking. I was overwhelmed with the support from so many mothers who reassured me […]

The SistahChick
    August 4, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Nice post. My oldest son didnt walk till he was 16 months!