Smart Simple Stylish Wordless Wednesday

5 Quick Facts About Lent & What I Am Going To Give Up

Have you ever participated in Lent? I haven’t. I learned about the tradition a little over 10 years ago. I started hearing my design school classmates talk about what they are going to give up for Lent (40 days). It went in one ear and out the other, because I know at the beginning of the year we fast 21 days.

tumblr_static_cheese_205_1362800142[1]As I got older, more and more friends were practicing Lent and this year I decided to actually educate myself on this religious practice and may be even take part. I have decided that if I partake in Lent this year – I will give up, CHEESE!! (Pray please!) Let’s take a look at a few questions & answers about Lent.

What is Lent? Lent is the season of repentance and prayer before Easter.

When does Lent start for 2014?Β Lent starts every year on Ash Wednesday and end on Holy Saturday (the day before Easter Sunday). This year it’s March 5th – April 19th. Lent is a 40-day period of where observers fast, pray, repent and practice spiritual discipline.

There are actually two versions of Lent. One is Lent – a season of fasting (which ends on Holy Saturday) and the other is Lent – a liturgical season, which ends before the Mass of the Lords Supper on Holy Thursday.

Who practices Lent?Β Lent is most commonly observed by the Roman Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, Presbyterian and Anglican denominations. Although, I know quite a few people who are none of these that practice Lent every year.

How Do You Practice Lent? I hear people give up all sorts of things for Lent; Facebook, TV, Games, and more. But it seems that you are supposed to FAST, which means giving up FOOD. Most fast from meat, dairy & egg products. I have also read, that some people use this as a time to give up something that gives them pleasure. So I guess those things mentioned above are ok.

240px-Crossofashes[1]

What is Ash Wednesday?Β Normally associated with the Catholic Church, the priest places a cross of ashes on the worshipper’s forehead. It’s meant to serve as a reminder or human mortality, repentance and way to prepare for the Holy Week and Easter.

So, do you practice Lent?

Comments

comments

Bobbie
    March 5, 2014 at 9:38 am

Great post, Bernetta! I have never practiced lent. I’ve thought about it though. I would like to practice it. Hmm…now I’m thinking what will I give up….

March 6, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Thanks Bobbie!! Did you decide yet?

Bobbie
        March 7, 2014 at 7:52 am

I decided on fast food…McDonalds etc…..pray for me on this one here, lol

Rashida
    March 5, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Thanks for the history on Lent! I’ve never participated before but I also know many people who do. I may consider it next year.

Katherine G
    March 5, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Thanks for educating me on this. I have always wondered about this. I wish you much luck on your journey. I know you can do it,

March 6, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Thanks for reading the post and wishing me luck!

Kita
    March 5, 2014 at 5:04 pm

I have heard about it and tried it two years in a row and never made it through and I am someone who hates starting something and I can’t finish it, it ikrs me. Cheese should be easy good luck to you

March 6, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Girl, I changed it to Fried Food! LOL!

Pascha
    March 8, 2014 at 8:47 am

I grew up in the Methodist church and went to a private Catholic school so I have practiced Lent. As an adult I now belong to a non-denominational church that doesn’t promote it as the Catholic church. Nevertheless, I do observe it with my children. I am giving up unnecessary shopping for the 40 days. This is very difficult for me.

domain
    August 18, 2014 at 4:52 pm

When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get several emails with the
    same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service?
    Bless you!

August 19, 2014 at 1:34 pm

I am very sorry. I do not know how to fix that.