Motherhood Monday Uncategorized

Motherhood Monday :: Have You Had The Sex Talk with Your Child? (Video)

Last week we (my family & I) were driving somewhere and I whispered to my husband, “Babe, when do you think we should talk to E about sex?” I don’t think he expected that question by his facial expression but he replied with, “Soon!” And we both turned and looked at him in the back seat at the same time. He was talking to his sister. I then said, “Good, but Miss Missy doesn’t need to be there! Although I am afraid he will tell her what we told him!” Miss missy is my daughter. My oldest is 8 and my daughter is 5.

My son doesn’t act interested in SEX but I know he likes girls. He was even trying to court a certain young lady all last year (2nd grade). He bought her a Valentines. He would try to play with her on the playground and even his friends knew he liked her. This school year (3rd grade), they are still in different classes so he might only get to see her at lunch. But….. I think he still has that crush.

What made my son blush? (Fast forward to sec .27)

I remember when this movie first came out and my son saw this scene. The moment Alvin & the Chipmunks saw the Chipettes my son blushed and look at me shyly. It was a look that said, “Is Mommy watching me watch this?” My children love to watch movies over and over again and whenever this scene comes on, he still gets the same blushed look on his face.

Why do I think it’s time? I actually don’t know if it’s time. This is my oldest child and I am just trying to be proactive. I rather he learn the proper things from his parents first. I know that his friends are eventually going to tell him wrong things based on their experience or what they might have been taught. I also don’t want my son to be afraid to talk to us. He was pretty open about the class crush, but what about as he grows?

What do I say? Again, I actually don’t know! I might let hubby start the conversation and chime in. I know I am going to google “How & When to speak to your child about sex.” At least I know that when it’s time to talk to the 2nd and 3rd child – I will be better prepared.

Have you had The Sex talk yet? How did it go? What did you say? How did they respond? Give me the details!

Comments

comments

Kita
    September 16, 2013 at 1:54 pm

My mom told me at 10 yrs old she said you will begin to notice boys and they will try to touch you and other shat (yes she cussed) she said whatever you do use protection cause if you get pregnant you will die. ……..I was like whaaaaa I did not want to die so I made sure I got suited up. We learned some things in school in sex ed and the rest I learned on my own from reading books. I lost my virginity at a very young age and I don’t want my children doing the same. My son is 7 I ask him about girls and he gives me a shoulder shrug I don’t think he is interested yet….(I don’t think) the girls love him though every time I am up at that school a girl is saying hey dman and I be looking. I think around 8 we will slowly begin talking to him and then hit him with the hard stuff at around 10 or 11.

Yolanda @Seeing It Their Way
    September 16, 2013 at 2:55 pm

So I can be prepared for when my boys become of age!

Antionette Blake
    September 16, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Yes, I think we started young … and we are still talking (threatening) now that they are older – lol. Don’t push and definitely don’t use “baby” terms, you will be surprised by what they already know!

Nellie @ Brooklyn Active Mama
    September 16, 2013 at 6:18 pm

LOL I am just going to pretend like I didn’t see Kita’s comment (lmbo over here). My boys are super young but I know I am going to do it because my mom didn’t say not one WORD to me about it. It was crazy. But it was also known that if I did it I’d be in trouble.

Lynn
    September 16, 2013 at 7:43 pm

OMGGGGG! after reading Kita comment I honesty don’t know what I was about to say! BOL!!!!! But in all honesty if you have to ask yourself is it time and when is a good time then: IT TIME! I can’t REALLY remember when I discussed it with my daughters but when the questions came up I was there to answer. U would rather you and your husband answer their questions instead of their peers because sometimes their peers can steer them wrong and you never want them to necessary look at SEX as a bad thing to the point that they are afraid to come to you guys. Always keep the lines of communication and hear what they have to say; you would be SURPRISED as to what that may already know!

Cam | Bibs & Baubles
    September 17, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Oh boy! I haven’t. Thankfully, I think I have a little time. My babies are 3 and 1. I’m not looking forward to it at all. I think you’re right to start early though. Kids are far beyond where we were at that age in so many ways. Let us know how it goes!

Joyce@MommyTalkShow
    September 20, 2013 at 3:02 pm

You’re doing the right thing since you & hubby are on the same page.
    My son us younger than yours so I can’t even imagine.
    But I can tell he likes older girls and flirts as much as 3 year olds can.

I’d suggest you start the conversation by finding out what your son already knows. This way you can correct/adjust his thinking, establish trust on this topic and go from there.

Demetra
    September 22, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I’ve been talking to the kids about their bodies and sex in age appropriate ways since they were in the 2nd or 3rd grade. Now that they are in their early teens the talks have become much more serious and detailed. I plan to take my daughter for a staycation so the two of us can have some real girl time and have some real talk about them boys

Katherine G
    September 23, 2013 at 12:55 am

We had the talk with our kids at around 7 and 6. We were watching the lifetime movie about the girls who had the pregnancy pact and that brought on a lot of questions such as where do babies come from but up until that point we answered questions as they were asked. Neither one of them have interests in the opposite as of yet.