Motherhood Monday :: Body Snap Back? Not exactly.

It’s been a little over 6 months since I gave birth to my 3rd child and it still amazes me how much PREGNANCY changes a woman’s body – FOREVER!

Some women get (and keep) bigger breast, hips, & thighs. Some women get stretch marks (oh the dreaded stretch marks)! And some get that extra wavy skin in the stomach area. Oh but the lucky few get nothing at all, they are the Lucky SNAP BACK CHICKS! That is a club I am not a part of. With my first, I lost all AND some! With my second, I lost all BUT some! I carried an extra 10 pounds after baby #2 for 3 years until I went hard and got it off. Then Whaalaa, pregnant with baby #3.

Before I found out I was pregnant, (I felt) I was in the best shape of my life. I was doing Zumba, eating healthy and just really looking good. When I found out I was having a baby, I was an emotional wreck. I knew from that moment, I would have to take control if I wanted my body back. With my first two I gain 65/70 pounds each. I didn’t want that with this baby even though I almost came close!! I was hovering in the 190′s when I gave birth.

People see pictures of me on IG, FB, etc. and say “You snapped back!” OH hunny I wish! I worked my butt off to get back in (MY) record time. I have a goal and I am [trying] to stick to it. From the day I gave birth, I started back eating RIGHT! Fruits, Veggies, lean meats – etc. I didn’t get the approval to workout until he was 9 weeks! Once I got the OK, that was all she wrote!! I started off with Zumba because I had a C-Section and I didn’t have to go hard with it. That coupled with breastfeeding ONLY & eating good, I watched the pounds fall off.

before after

FIRST TIME IN THIS DRESS SINCE HAVING BABY #3. It Felt good!

Fast forward 6 months post baby. My pre-baby weight was 145. As of Saturday, I was 148! Wooot Wooot! I actually took a month off of working out in between May/June (because of life). I am 3 pounds to my pre-baby weight, and once I reach it I am going for a bonus 5 pounds. So my new goal is actually 140. So I can work within a 140-145 range. That weight looks good on me. Once I reach that weight, I will always continue to workout. I will also continue focusing on toning and shaping. I still want the best body ever – MY BEST BODY EVER. And yes, I have the stretch marks, elasticity issues and breast that are in recovery (smh!) but I can still have MY best body ever.

What am I doing to GET MY BODY BACK?

I workout at the minimum 4 days a week. I started out doing Zumba but moved to Hip Hop Abs. It was just OK for me, but it didn’t make me feel like I was really working out but more just dancing. And I know Zumba is dancing, but I had a better workout doing Zumba versus Hip Hop Abs! Currently, I am doing anything by Jillian Michaels and I am seeing my body change. I love it. She keeps me sweating and breathing hard! I take 50 million water breaks during her workout but finish feeling accomplished. The video below is one of the videos that challenged me (to keep up) but now I can hang! She has tons of video on YouTube.

For breakfast, if I am not eating Greek yogurt – I am making me a smoothie with mixed berries, spinach (or kale) and pineapple juice. Did you know Pineapple juice is a great choice to help aid you in maintaining a flat stomach!! My lunch just really depends on what is going on. I try to have a salad, soup or some lean meat. Dinner is usually the same. I like my sautéed veggies, salmon, salad etc. I could go on and on with possible food options. Basically, I don’t eat Fast Food and I try my best not to eat processed food. I also don’t eat a lot of sweets (cookies, cakes, donuts, or candy). I also drink more WATER (with lemon & mint) than ever! I don’t eat how I eat to LOSE the weight – It’s a lifestyle change.

So although it’s a compliment when someone says, “Oooh girl you snapped back!” It must be known that I worked (and I am still working) my butt off to get to the point where I am today.

What about you? Did you do anything special to get back to happy place where your body is concerned?

Comments

comments

Joyce@MommyTalkShow
    August 26, 2013 at 5:36 pm

I didn’t do anything special to lose the post-baby weight. I lost a lot from breastfeeding. But then I got lazy, sat around and didn’t do much moving. This weekend I did my 2nd 5K, but my first one post-baby. Now I just want to work on my time and finish in less than 40 minutes.
    Congrats to you!

Kita
    August 26, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I snapped back with my first but after that second and life got me down I didn’t do a thing. Trying to cut back now. If I can be a 12 by the time my birthday rolls around in December I will be happy.

Collie
    August 26, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Congrads on the weight loss. I can’t say I have baby weight…. I have LIFE weight. My daughter is almost 17 so that’s not an excuse. I have been doing things to get in shape and I have went from 174 to 155 this year. I’m proud of that and excited to continue to lose and tone my body. Healthy eating and exercise is key! And plenty of water!

Katherine G
    August 26, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I’m still working on trying to get my body back 12 years later. I just have to dedicate myself.

August 27, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Thanks! You can do it!

nylse
    August 26, 2013 at 10:02 pm

it takes time and its an ongoing process. when i had my late in life child 10 years ago i was in the best shape of my life and never expected baby #4. After I had her, I dont think I bounced back but I was determined…the numbers on the scale are misleading because things get redistributed differently and since I run more and lift weights I dont think I will ever be prebaby weight…but I am now in the best shape of my life at 46.
    You feel good when you look good and that always motivates me.

August 27, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Thanks alot!! And you are right.. Feeling good is what is all about!

Katherine G
    August 26, 2013 at 10:42 pm

You look great!!! Btw.

Bobbie
    August 27, 2013 at 11:31 am

Chic you look good. Keep it up! I’m back on my lifestyle change as well. Wow! I didn’t know that about pineapple juice. I make me a pineapple and vanilla yogurt smoothie every other say.

August 27, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Thanks Bobbie!! And yes I love my smoothies!

Bridget Wright
    August 27, 2013 at 3:41 pm

The same thing happened with me after baby #1. But after numbers 2 & 3, the weight was MORE than a challenge. Fast-forward 9 years later and I am STILL working hard everyday to keep that dreaded poundage off.

August 27, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I hear you. It’s possible though!

Barbara Boser
    August 27, 2013 at 8:49 pm

You look great girl! Keep up the hard work.

Demetra
    August 31, 2013 at 8:22 pm

GREAT JOB! Your confidence shows even through the pictures. I didn’t know that pineapple juice aids in achieving a flat stomach, good tip

Sophia Video Baby Monitor Giveaway: How Long Did Your Child Sleep in Your Room?
    March 17, 2015 at 10:07 pm

[…] he was 20 months! I just got used to my son’s bed in the room with me and I actually enjoyed seeing my little man in the morning. Not to mention, my oldest child is a boy and we were debating who our baby would […]