Wordless Wednesday

Wordy Wednesday :: I LOVE MY ASU!

Morning all! It’s Wordless or Wordy Wednesday! A few Saturdays ago, I went back to Alabama to speak at a HBCU (Historically Black College & Universities) Forum. It was mainly about our experiences at an HBCU, how it helped to shape us and if they are still relevant today.
IMAG6003[1]

I went to Alabama State University in Montgomery, AL! I loved my college experience. It really help mold me into the person I am today.

IMAG6004[1]

Through the good and bad experiences, I had to grow up quick and learn to depend on me. I developed friendships that I still have today. I loved & lost, and I loved & gained.

IMAG6005[1]

I learned more about my culture as an African American women than I ever did growing up. I learned that we (Blacks) are not all alike. Of course I can say that now, but at 17 I didn’t know that. I quickly learned New Yorkers are different from my Miami peeps! Detriot friends act this way, while Cali kids act another. On & on. A real culture shock, but a good one. Diversity.

IMAG6006[1]

When I came to ASU, I was 17. I was real rough around the edges. I had teachers, professors, deans and friends take me and teach me things that I still use today. ASU is so apart of me! Besides being married and having my children, college was the one of the BEST time periods of my life.

What was the Best Time Period of your life? Why?

Comments

comments

Lindsey, the Redhead Baby Mama
    July 31, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I had no idea you were an AL girl! Southerners Rule! 🙂

I think each period in my life is special – because it taught me different things from different experiences, and most of all, was a step on the path to where I am today!

Chrishelle@CheerMamaDrama
    July 31, 2013 at 1:54 pm

My kids will be starting at ASU(Augusta State University), well it was just renamed Georgia Regents this fall. He is ready for his college years, I don’t think I am. Nice pics.

ToshaNoA
    July 31, 2013 at 2:07 pm

My ASU Days were definitely the BEST!!!! So much GROWTH came from 915 South Jackson Street, Montgomery, Alabama!!! I met LIFELONG FRIENDS there, learned hardknock life lessons, LOVED HARD (or so I swore I did LOL)!!! I’d go back in a heartbeat!!!

Shauntell
    July 31, 2013 at 2:14 pm

The love and appreciation I have for my ASU is tremendous. I entered campus a extremely sheltered girl from Miami and left a well grounded young woman. I learned that we as a people come from all types of backgrounds, but shared a love for who we are as a people. I gained relationships that are still intact 13 years later (Mrs. BernettaStyle being 1) The level of education I received was and has been very beneficial to attaining various advanced degrees at traditional universities. I would not change anything about the 5 years, I spent in Montgomery, AL. and I will make sure my daughter receives her education at ASU or another HBCU.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious?
    July 31, 2013 at 2:27 pm

College is full of amazing experiences. And, it’s definitely more about learning so many other things besides “school!”

Katherine G
    July 31, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Sounds like you had an awesome college experience!! I wished I had gone away for college.

Cam | Bibs & Baubles
    July 31, 2013 at 6:33 pm

I’m an HBCU Alum as well and that experience totally shaped the woman I am today. There is nothing like it.

KiwiTheBeauty
    August 2, 2013 at 4:12 am

Bernetta I have a secret too. My picture wasnt taken today either from the challenge LOL. I wasn’t have a great “selfie” day either…I just didnt! I love how you broke down the story behind your selfie and the story {duh I know thats the point} but it was lovely!

What’s the best time period of my life? Anything 90s related the music, being a care-free kid and the no bills! LOL…I think my next best time period will be honestly when I get married and start my family! Great post I will be doing it too!

Lashawn
    August 2, 2013 at 2:52 pm

My parents went to a HBCU ( they are ASU Alumni like you!) and so it was a no brainier that I would go to one too! The years I spent at Howard were priceless!!