Motherhood Monday:: Where has 4 months gone? Solid foods Yay or Nay?

I looked up and my sugar bear is 4 months old (really tomorrow). Today I took him for his 4 month check up and he is 16 pounds now! Wow! He also received three shots today, which hurt my heart. I haven’t did many Motherhood Mondays because mentally I have just been tired! I went back to work last month and still finding my new normal.

Here is the question: How old was your baby when you started feeding him solid food? The doctor told  me today, I can start him on Rice Cereal. Then eventually baby food, but try a new food every 3-5 days.Uggghhhhhhh! I am not ready. He is only 4 months and 90% breastfed. My mother watches him during the day and is SO READY to feed him grits and eggs!! I didn’t even tell her what the doctor said. She said she is going to call up there ask him herself!! The doctor also said most breastfed mothers like to wait, and honestly I do want to wait. At least until he is 5 months. To me, he doesn’t need other food right now.

What about you? How long did you wait?

Here are my other two big babies!! (I told you I was a mom of three!) This was yesterday on their way to church. My daughter actually got something (gooey-like) on this brand new dress at church and in the trash this pretty dress went! I was MAD AS (&#$&#($!!!!!!!  I digress.

Comments

comments

Latisha Hammonds
    June 10, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Make your first real feeding at night and you will finally sleep the whole night!

Katherine Phillips
    June 10, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I’m going to be honest. We were giving our kids cereal at 2 months. They just slept better with a full tummy. My youngest was breastfed up until 10 months. We just didn’t go by the doctors guidelines. The cereal was small amounts when they were that young. My oldest got it in a bottle.

Katherine Phillips
    June 10, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Huh

Katherine Phillips
    June 10, 2013 at 6:10 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

Katherine Phillips
    June 10, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Your kids are beautiful!!

Tia
    June 10, 2013 at 6:25 pm

He’s so cute! I started my daughter on rice cereal at 4 months. I still continued to breastfeed like normal, but at dinner she would get a little cereal. It was an easy transition. Eventually I started introducing her to different foods. Since she was only getting solids at dinner I continued to breastfeed until well after her first birthday. Whatever decision you make will be the right one for and baby. Like you said at this age he certainly doesn’t “need” solids.

Daphne
    June 10, 2013 at 7:49 pm

B, I say wait 2 more months. I started at 6- almost 7 months. Time does fly.

June 10, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Time flies and they don’t stay babies long that’s why I can’t have no more I only like them when they are babies like this lol. No help on the food part I think I started table food at around 4/5 months can’t remember so I am not any good with that.

YUMMommy
    June 13, 2013 at 8:02 pm

I waited longer than four months, but I did catch my mom slipping Moo table food at almost 5 months. JJ tried cereal at 5 months but didn’t like it at all. He also didn’t like baby food. So we waited until 6 months and started introducing him to table food that I would blend in the food processor. If you want to wait, then do it.

The UnCoordinated Mommy
    June 16, 2013 at 2:00 am

Since you are already wanting to wait, then wait. 🙂 With my first I started one feeding at 6 months mainly because I was excited to see him eat. But my pediatrician explained that breastmilk and formula were the primary source of nutrition until he was 1 and to slowly add in meals. He honestly didn’t get up to 3 meals a day until he was 11 months. You can totally wait as long as you want. This time I started a few weeks after 6 months, still primarily breastfed, and now at 9 months I’m feeding him breakfast and dinner now. Won’t add in lunch until 12 months. I get you on other people feeding him, once you start everyone things they can start shoving any old food in there! LOL