Motherhood Monday:: Help, Do You Let Your Baby Sleep on Their Stomach or Back?

The topic today is sleeping on the back! Baby E is 4.5 months and not quite sleeping through the night BUT BUT BUT last night he slept from 10:30pm ish to 5 am ish!!!!! He started cooing alittle after 5am. I just picked him up and kissed him so much saying, “You slept through the night!! You did it big boy!!” Although he slept a long time last night, I didn’t! I kept waking up because I was waiting on him to wake up. Keep your fingers crossed for tonight.

Ok. I know a few people who have stated their child sleeps through the night NOW (and they are around the same age as Baby E) but their children sleep on their stomach. That’s just so hard for me because of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome). Baby E’s pediatrician says babies should sleep on their back until they are able to turn over or at least hold their head up while on their stomach. This was the first time he told me that. With my first two, I kept them on their back until they were 1! Baby E can hold his head up fine, but turns over – by accident. Do you understand when I say – by accident? I mean, he is not trying to turn over, but does it because he is frustrated.

Now recently, I have let Baby E sleep on his stomach during the day (on weekends) when I am up and able to watch him. He appears to sleep longer this way. I have not let him sleep through the night at all on his stomach even if it’s a possibility he might sleep longer. I am just not ready. I didn’t do it for my other children this early and I am not ready to do it with him.

SIDS Interesting facts:
Most deaths due to SIDS occur between 2 and 4 months of age, and incidence increases during cold weather. African-American infants are twice as likely and Native American infants are about three times more likely to die of SIDS than caucasian infants. More boys than girls fall victim to SIDS.

Other potential risk factors include:

• smoking, drinking, or drug use during pregnancy
  • poor prenatal care
  • prematurity or low birth weight
  • mothers younger than 20
  • tobacco smoke exposure following birth
  • overheating from excessive sleepwear and bedding
  • stomach sleeping

More FACTS:

• SIDS claims the lives of almost 2,500 infants in the US each year – that’s nearly 7 babies every day.
  • SIDS is not caused by “baby shots.”
  • SIDS deaths occur unexpectedly and quickly to apparently healthy infants, usually during periods of sleep.
  • SIDS is not caused by suffocation, choking, or smothering.
  • SIDS is not caused by child abuse or neglect.
  • SIDS is not contagious.
  • SIDS occurs in families of all races and socioeconomic levels.
  • SIDS cannot be predicted or prevented and can claim any baby, in spite of parents doing everything right.

I want to know what you all do. Stomach or Back? Why? What worked?

Comments

comments

YourUnexpectedBeauty Yolanda
      June 24, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Both of my little ones slept on their backs and slept through the night at six weeks old. SIDS is real and I would have rather lost a few hours of sleep rather than lose my sweet baby boys. Fortunately for me these boys love their sleep just like their mama and didn’t mind being on their back.

Autumn
      June 24, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Oooh I couldn’t do it! I made sure my daughter slept on her back as long as possible. SIDS is just too scary (and real!) I hope that he continues to sleep longer and longer on his own. At 4.5 months, he is almost ready to give you some rest. Hang in there, mama!

June 24, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Mines slept on their stomach for the most part I have heard of SIDS but my mom had another theory for what caused SIDS… the older people had different stories so I didn’t know what was true or wasn’t. The stomach worked best for me they seemed to sleep longer.

MrsTDJ
      June 24, 2013 at 8:05 pm

I was a teensy bit paranoid about my little guy only sleeping on his back, until I hadn’t slept in almost 3 days because my son wouldn’t sleep longer than 30 mins at a time. My husband intervened, sent me to a hotel and I came back the next day well rested and refreshed; almost as well rested as my son. Hubby put him on his stomach and our son slept for 6.5 hours, woke to eat and slept about 5. **sigh** I almost freaked out, but I didn’t. Hubby had removed the crib bumpers, along with all stuffed animals, sheets and blanket. My son was and still is a stomach sleeper. But, I understand the concern and you have to do what you feel comfortable with.

Lindsey Paris
      June 24, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I wasn’t paranoid at all. If Red rolled over during the night, it was ok. We even had…. *bumpers*. If he slipped an arm out at any point from the swaddle, i did away with it. At 4.5 months, Red was rolling accidentally, and if he rolled, he was ok. Since he couldn’t crawl, no other blankets, etc. were in there with him.

Tracy / The UnCoordinated Mommy
      June 25, 2013 at 4:07 am

Back back back back back. Ill sat it one more time, back. Both my boys slept on their backs until they could roll over on their own and even then/now I still put them down on their backs. My cousin lost his little girl to SIDS back in April, and even though they did everything they were supposed to they both still say you should do everything you can. These guidelines will not absolutely prevent SIDS, BUT they WILL significantly reduce the risk.

Katherine Phillips
      June 25, 2013 at 11:25 am

My kids slept on their stomach. I tried on their back but it just didn’t work. I tried everything but when your kid is looking at you for 12 straight hours it is too cute and funny until you are doing it for a week straight.

Do what’s best for you and baby E?

luvlymskrissy
      June 25, 2013 at 5:15 pm

It was stomach for my daughter. she wouldn’t sleep any other way. I watched her like a hawk tho. got up ever hour to make sure she was breathing

luvlymskrissy
      June 25, 2013 at 5:16 pm

It was stomach for my daughter. That was the only way i could get her to sleep. i watched her like a hawk though

Cam | Bibs and Baubles
      June 26, 2013 at 12:19 am

I’m a total back is best mama. I would freak out whenever my babies turned on their side and I couldn’t see their face.

Nellie @ Brooklyn Active Mama
      June 26, 2013 at 1:34 am

Hey! I love your blog!! I was crazy, I never let my kids sleep on their stomachs until they were one, I was so paranoid, especially with my first baby. I’d literally check him for breathing every couple hours during the night. It was insane.

I love your blog!!

LA Lynn's
      June 26, 2013 at 2:56 am

I don’t think I quite remember the rules but my babies were side sleepers…

Xoxo
      Lynn

Joyce@MommyTalkShow
      June 30, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Back in the day, my Mother says doctor recommended sleeping on a baby’s stomach in case their spit up. This way they wouldn’t choke.
      But now, “Back to Sleep” is the new mantra.
      We did it for A.J. until he was at least one. If he rolled over on his own, I didn’t worry about it.