Motherhood Monday:: Obamacare is providing me a Breast Pump!

Over the weekend, I was at dinner with a fellow blogger and friend Daphne (www.MushyMamma.com) and she asked me, “Do you have everything you need for the baby?” I expressed I still need two major items; a stroller and a breast pump. She immediately told me about ObamaCare, and how I can get a FREE breast pump through my insurance! I stopped eating and said, “Please say that again!”

Within the guidelines for the Affordable Health Care Act lies a provision that states that Insurance companies have to provide breastfeeding supplies. These supplies include purchase or rental of breast pumps and other supplies as well as visits to lactation consultants as part of their coverage to their insured. (Source: www.MushyMamma.com )

This morning, I called my insurance company (apparently it depends on which insurance you have that determines what and how you get this pump) and after being transferred 4 times, I finally find out my insurance has a “Healthy Babies Program” and a pump IS COVERED under my personal preventative care! For me, covered means a I get a rental pump covered at full price, no deductible or co-pay! All my doctor has to do is write a prescription to the third party company that handles the pump distribution and find a carrier in-network. I think that is a Win-Win! What about you? Now, I don’t have to BUY a pump (I wasn’t having any more children anyway), I don’t have to pay to RENT a pump (which still saves me money), and based on my doctors prescription I can still get a top grade pump for the entire time I want to breast feed!! Again, a win-win!

I am so glad she asked me that question! Now I can use the money I set aside for the pump for the baby food processor I really want or the baby monitor! Those are the two WANTS that I have on my list.

UPDATE: I called the actual company (middleman) who works with my insurance and the policy has changed! I know GET TO KEEP THE BREAST PUMP! It’s a purchase at no cost to me! The only way I would have to give it back is if my doctor wanted me to use a specific institutional pump. Being that I can use Medela or Avent (two of the more popular pumps), I will get the pump FREE!
LOVE IT! Thanks President OBAMA!

Did you know about the New Benefits of the Affordable Health Care act?
I think that’s awesome!

Comments

comments

MushyMamma(Daphne)
    January 28, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Yay, I am so glad, the hospital grade rental pumps are awesome. They are so effective. You usually can pump more in less time. So now you just have to start preparing your body to build up your milk supply. Hey you only have a couple more weeks to go 😉

latoya
    January 28, 2013 at 5:40 pm

I wish they had that around last year. I could have really used a lactation consultant.

Fcl
      November 23, 2014 at 1:31 pm

I actually have no idea what I’m gitteng. My midwife ordered it for me! I think probably a double electric? Definitely electric and not manual! The process was so complicated, I was happy to have her contact them for me. I thought about gitteng a hospital-grade because I had low-supply issues with my first (and a breast reduction in 2006) so I figure I’ll have issues with the second as well. But a hospital grade can only be rented, whereas the other is mine to keep. One thing that hasn’t been touched on is how this will create a market for free breast pumps. Maybe people without insurance (or insurance that will cover anything other than manual pumps as mentioned above) will be able to get pumps for free (and then buy replacement tubing) from women who are done having kids and thus breastfeeding rates will increase! That would be awesome.

Renae
    January 28, 2013 at 5:48 pm

That is great, that President Obama just gets better and better!!! I will pass this info along to some of the pregnant women I know.

Terez Baskin
    January 30, 2013 at 9:59 pm

How cool is that? My mother had to buy mine after I had a meltdown after spilling 2oz. It was a hot mess. I am super excited. And you are able to get the great Madela. WOW!

Tiffany
    February 3, 2013 at 12:54 am

I had those awful manual pumps with my kids and never had any luck pumping. Glad you’ll be able to have a good one to use!

Hiroshi
      November 23, 2014 at 6:41 am

Insurance companies will often pay for ilnisun pumps or part of the cost of a pump if your doctor will write a letter of necessity. If you go to your endocrinologist, talk to him/her about a pump. Your doctor will contact the pump company and in turn the pump company will contact your insurance company to check on coverage. Sometimes the doctor will have a list of things he has to give the insurance company before they approve a pump for you. This could be your latest A1c test or records of your blood sugar for a month. My insurance covered my pump at 100% once I met my deductible. I had already met the deductible so it was covered at 100%. Make sure you check to find out how much your pump supplies will cost through your insurance. Mine are covered as durable medical equipment and they cover at 100% after I reach my deductible at the begining of the year. The help I got from my insurance company was phenomenal. Just let the pump company call your insurance and it will make the process a lot easier. Good luck!

November 23, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Thank you Tiffany!! I got the pump and now the baby is almost 2. It really worked.

Joyce@MommyTalkShow
    February 3, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I’m glad the government is showing this sort of support for breastfeeding moms. I borrowed one from a family friend and used it until my son was past one. Due to his food allergies, he took breast milk for awhile.

Shauntell
    February 5, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Great news and will share with my expecting gfs!!