Motherhood Monday: Baby Shower Blues

Is it tacky to have more than one baby shower? I remember having a conversation with a few friends and the responses were mixed. One thing that was brought up is that they thought “It’s really politically correct to only have one shower.” More than one is really greedy. We had this conversation before I became pregnant but I still defended the fact that I had two showers because I had a boy first then a girl. And although I still kept the major things from the first pregnancy (car seat, stroller, crib, bottles) I still needed “GIRL” things. I did agree, if I would have had a two boys so close in years, I probably wouldn’t have had a second shower.

Fast forward 5 years later, I am pregnant again – for the last time. I have NOTHING for a baby. Should I not have a baby shower because I’ve had two in the past? Is that tacky? It’s really not a question in my mind because I don’t have anything. I didn’t expect to have another child, so I do want a shower.

Ok, let me ask you another question…would you throw your own baby shower if no one stepped up to do it or assist?

Jacket: Red Courderoy (Thrifted) Jeans & White Shirt (Ross Maternity)
Necklace/Earrings (Just Jewels 4 U) Boots (Simply Fashion)

20 weeks down, 20 weeks to go! I can’t believe it! I honestly feel good. It’s been great so far.
We still don’t know the sex of the baby yet. That appointment is this week, but remember I don’t want to know. The hubby can’t wait for our appointment though! It’s funny to watch him be so excited about finding out!

Comments

comments

MushyMamma(Daphne)
    October 8, 2012 at 1:16 pm

“B” you look absolutely wonderful pregnant. In terms of baby showers, since it has been a minute since you had a baby shower, I say yes you should have one. Besides showers are just the coming together of friends to celebrate a joyous event. But however I am totally against someone throwing their own shower. I don’t think it’s a good look. But hey, that just my two cents. I say do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Your Unexpected Beauty (Yolanda)
    October 8, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I feel the same way as you. If they are close together but a different sex or there is a FAR gap between births than a second/third shower is appropriate, but I wouldn’t throw my own shower.

YUMMommy
    October 8, 2012 at 3:12 pm

One baby shower? This is news to me. Where I’m from, we have a baby shower for each child. So, I know people who’ve had two, three and even five baby showers. The fact of the matter is infant seats expires, wheels on strollers get worn out, clothes get worn out from multiple washes, you’ll need diapers & wipes, etc. So, I don’t see it’s not politically correct to have a shower for each pregnancy.

Not to mention, there maybe certain things you’ll want to pass on to each child specifically as an heirloom. Like with our kids they each have their own crib and will be able to use it when they have their first child. I planned and hosted both my showers because ppl said they would host it but then dragged their feet on throwing it. Do what you have to do is my motto!

Maria Smith
    October 8, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I hear you. You have to do what is right for you and your friends. You know if others around you are having second, third, etc showers. I know some people do “sprinkles” for subsequent babies. I wouldn’t throw my own shower but I would let my friends and husband (!) know I would like one. Since you have nothing it makes sense.

Kerissa
    October 8, 2012 at 11:31 pm

You look great! Hooray to a healthy smooth pregnancy. Wish I looked this glowy. I’m allergic to kids but since you asked. I had two baby showers for one kid 13 years ago. Lolll! Ok so I’m not helping. I say ask Ann or Mrs. Manners (giggles) the newspaper will thank you.

Ashley
    October 9, 2012 at 1:36 am

You are too cute!! Love your outfit and thats good to know that your pregnancy is going well. I’m a new follower via The BLM girl group. Now following 🙂

With Love,
    Ashley
    ASassywoman.Com

Andrea
    October 9, 2012 at 1:42 am

You look fab!! I agree with Maria – it does make sense!

Baby Shopaholic
    October 9, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Showers are a bonus and I would not throw my own shower. I am going to be the bad guy and say I don’t think you should have a shower for every child either. I think a sprinkle is great idea. Something small with close friends. I am sure someone will put something together for you 🙂

Katherine Phillips
    October 10, 2012 at 1:04 am

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again you look great pregnant and very stylish I must add. Since it has been a few yeara since you had a baby I think you deserve a shower. Even if you had had two boys close in age I think if someone wants to throw you a shower then that is their right. I don’t think it would be tacky. Every baby is special and deserves something new.

Tiffany
    October 14, 2012 at 2:19 am

I definitely think it’s fine to have another baby shower. Even if you end up planning it yourself. As others have noted, it’s a time to get together and celebrate the birth of a new child.