Natural Hair

Starting from short. My BIG Chop!

Yes! Yes! Yes! I did it. I cut my hair all off. Why? Why? Why? That is the question of the day. People seem to look at me with wonderment and some disgust (even though they try to fix their face real quick!). But guess what, I have peace about it.

I cut my hair because in October 2011, I colored it. December 2011 & January 2012 I put Henna over that. Immediately, I noticed my curl pattern was looser. And that part didn’t bother me. But what did bother me was the fact my hair would no longer hold a twist. Being natural, I twisted my hair often so that was a big disappointment. I had to start braiding my hair to get a new look. And if you don’t keep your hair moisturized (with Color & Henna) it will dry out. And dry hair equals breakage. I was doing well the first few months with maintenance, but the last few months not so good. I was doing alot, LIFE-WISE and was actually taking my hair for granted. My hair became more dry, I wasn’t deep conditioning at all. I wasn’t wearing my protective styles, I wasn’t moisturizing like I knew I should have. Again taking my hair for granted. Well, in comes the new growth. The new growth was visually thicker, fuller and stronger than the colored & henna portion of my hair. It was actually WEAK.

I do not want to get a relaxer but I wanted my hair to be like it used to be pre-color etc. I want my full head of hair to be like my new growth. So, I cut my hair to start fresh. That was not easy because my husband DID NOT want me to cut my hair. He told me to trim my ends, but it wasn’t the same. My hubby is a long hair dude but when he met me, my hair was super short (but relaxed). I always remind him of that. He says, “I saw your potential!” WTW!

Well, I cut my hair on my lunch break and didn’t tell him. His facial expression was priceless when I walked through the door. He just outright said, “I do not like it! Why did you cut it so short?” He was M-A-D! What was funny was my daughter (who is 4) didn’t like it either! She asked me was it a wig! And told me to go back to the beautician and tell them to do it over!!!

But again…. I cut my hair to grow it back longer and stronger. It will not be short forever. I have been natural since 2007. I know how to grow my hair and maintain length. I plan on blogging about my hair journey and if you newly natural or just plan on “growing” with me …. let’s do it together!

Comments

comments

Your Unexpected Beauty
    June 6, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I would say your brave to do it like everyone was telling me when I big chopped, but it’s just hair it will be back in no time longer and stronger than ever.And you can show the hubby my 2 year journey video to show him how quickly it will grow back.

June 6, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Thanks Yolanda (YUB)… I know it will. He just needs some time! LOL.
    You hair is GORGE…..!! Oh and I did the egg white facial last night. I will be doing it on the regular!

The Dumpy Duchess
    June 6, 2012 at 2:22 pm

you’ll soon see that it was the best decision ever. I love my natural hair. Sometimes I feel like a fraud because I did not do a big chop, i just wore ponytails and wigs until it got to a length that was functional for me but ahh well…LOL YOU LOOK GREAT!

Anonymous
    June 6, 2012 at 2:36 pm

That’s the same reason i cut my hair!! But I’m having trouble with the growing back “longer and stronger” department!?!?!? WTW?!?! lolol….s/n that’s a message in itself: “I cut my hair so it can grow back longer and stronger”

Sometimes in life, that’s exactly what we have to do– “CUT DOWN” certain things in our lives, for the ultimate purpose and goal of NEW GROWTH and LONGEVITY!!!! HA!! #ifeellikepreaching It’s working for my GOOD!!!

ToshaDevon
    June 6, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I think it looks GREAT…you’re the one who talked me into going natural when I felt it was IMPOSSIBLE!!!!! Although I understand (partially) your hubby’s feelings…it is your HAIR!! It will grow back and it will be as lovely as ever!!! You look great B!!!!

June 6, 2012 at 2:49 pm

My hubs got mad when I cut my hair last summer he was pissed did not speak to me for almost a week I was like wow it’s not that serious it will grow back. Healthy hair is important and you have to do what you have to do. Everyone will get use to it as long as you like it then that’s all that matters.

Brandy Griffin
    June 6, 2012 at 3:05 pm

You look fantastic…as usual! I love it, Bernetta!!!

Amber
    June 6, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Yay! You look great! I’m sure your husband will come around eventually. It’s great to have support and it’s even better to be confident in your own decisions. I’m writing all this week on my blog about natural hair…stop on by and join the conversation!

Cam | Bibs and Baubles
    June 6, 2012 at 8:40 pm

You look great. Your baby face looks even younger!!

Rose's Daughter
    June 7, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Healthy hair is important! I big chopped about 3 times before I finally loc’d my hair. It will grow back before you know it! And you look great!

Mimi
    June 7, 2012 at 6:42 pm

I like it!! My husband is a hair man too. I keep my hair mostly for him and the sleek ponytail that I love so much but in the next 5 years I intend to cut.

Looking forward to see what you do with it as it grows back. Hopefully I can get some ideas on what to do with mine.

MushyMamma(Daphne)
    June 8, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Bernetta-

I love it, I actually almost did the same but still deciding on what I want to do. You can rock any style and yes as we all know natural hair grows stringer and longer fast.

June 8, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Thanks ladies!! Thanks so much! I am getting used to it. But I did just get rope twist for the next few weeks though! I like them too!

KGilbert
    September 5, 2012 at 2:55 pm

You look great!! I just finished reading your post about your 3 month growth and it lpoks fabulous!! I am actually contemplating cutting my hair and starting over again cause I have learned new things and want to see if applying what I have learned will give me different results. Hubby is not a fan of it. He doesn’t think I should do it. I haven’t comw to a decision yet but after reading your article I’m going for a strong yes. Your husband and daughter’s reactions cracked me up.

September 5, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Yes yes and yes. Both my daughter and husband are in a better place now! LOL! I have a cute bob quick weave right now and my daughter said, “Mommy why do you keep wearing that wig!!” And my husband told me to just wear my hair! so yep, a long way. I say do it. It’s YOUR hair. it will grow back. #promise

Anonymous
    September 17, 2012 at 11:03 am

Hi! My name is Vee, from Durban, South Africa.
    I’m also doing the big chop very soon (hopefully)
    My hair right now is a mess (damaged from years of relaxing & heat). I can’t remember myself with hair shorter than shoulder-length.
    So, looks like I’ll be making a trip to the salon soon…

My Hair Changed After Childbirth | BASIC Hair 90 Day Hair Growth Challenge
    September 1, 2014 at 12:12 am

[…] did a big chop June 2012 because my hair was thin and didn’t appear healthy anymore. Well, 2 weeks later, I found out […]

2 BFFs, 2 Big Chops and A Finger Coil in One Day - Bernetta Style
    August 29, 2015 at 12:26 pm

[…] did do a big chop in 2012 because to me my hair was unhealthy. In order to get it back to a full, thick, and manageable state, […]